Sign in to follow this  

90-96 4runner

Currently i'm tossing around the idea of saving up and buying a 90-96 4runner at the end of the summer.

i have about 800 in the bank now and i make about 100-200 a week with 40 going to gas.

So i guess my question is, is it worth it?

some of the main selling points to me are:

better gas mileage (i get 11 right now, on a good day)

i can bring more than 2 people with me

its a stick

the gas mileage will save me more money in the long run

so are there any problems with those years?

what should i watch out for? - i know about the headgasket, anything else?

whats the approximate gas mileage on them? id get the 5speed

is there a 'best year'?

whats a good average price?

could this tow a 10 ft enclosed trailer? with a bike or two + gear?

thanks!

-Josh

The 3.0 v6 is slow and gets bad gas mileage. I doubt you'll do much better then 15 mpg.

I have a 94 V-6 4x4 Runner with a 5-speed and when my buddy drove it he was able to squeak 16mpg but I have never been over 12...:confused:

The thing is gutless, with a 5x8 open deck trailer and two older snowmobiles weighing no more than 1500lbs all together she went even slower, no way would I want to pull an enclosed behind it...

This is my second toyota and I would buy another...but not a 3.Sl0w...

But other than the terrible engine the rig is awesome!:thumbsup: if only I had the time to swap in a GM 4.3L V-6 I would be one happy camper...

-mt-

im not looking to spend too much on this. i still am only 16.

so if not the 4runner, is there something similar that gets decent gas mileage? (20 ish)

right now this is all up in the air, nothing is finalized yet cause i need to come up with the money first

get the 4 runner with the 22re, it gets good mileage (20mpg) and only has like 10 less hp than the v6, your best off getting a 96+ 4 runner though with the 3.4

im not looking to spend too much on this. i still am only 16.

so if not the 4runner, is there something similar that gets decent gas mileage? (20 ish)

right now this is all up in the air, nothing is finalized yet cause i need to come up with the money first

I dont have much experience with SUV's other than mine, but getting 20ish with a V-6 in an SUV to me is asking quite a bit for a limited 16 year old budget...I personally cant think of anything that would get that and do what you want with a lower price range that is still newish...

-mt-

my first truck was a 1997 toyota tacoma 2wd 4cyl 5 speed...That truck even with 250,000 miles on it got 30+ mpg and had all kinds of power for 4 cyl......as for pulling that big of a trailer its not practical though. It did tow my buddies car that died home 20 miles without a problem though :smirk:....great little truck for hauling bikes around as well

Ive since then had a 1990 toyota 4 runner 4 cyl 5 speed. Once again great truck didnt leave me stranded but couldnt break about 20 mpg with it. It was kind of a slug really wont get out of its own way and deffinetly not a chance again of towling a trailer and i heard the 6 cyl arent any better either

Just like everyone else said here, avoid the 3VZE 3.0 V6 like the plague. The 96 is a completely different generation and the 3.4 V6's found in them are reputable. The 4 cylinders in any of those years are known for their reliability, but a 22RE 4runner is rather gutless.