yamaha wr250f to a ktm 200xcw

i have an 08 250f, pretty modded, yzf, cam, q4, mega bomb, anyway, i'm an intermediate rider hitting 5th gear alot and wanting a bit more. is the ktm 200 a little faster or a lot faster than the heavy 250f? i have never rode a 2 stroke so i'm very interested in peoples opinions who have switched. i ride mostly desert, 45 years old 5,7 and would like to know what 40 pounds less feels like on a bike. is it worth the money? also, how does this bike do with a rekluse?

Edited by Riderdown

Ok buddy FWIW I ride a 250 xcw and my buddy rides a WR250 we swaped rides once for a few miles and I will tell you I could not wait to get back on my bike.The Wr just felt heavy and awkward feeling and not as responsive in any way.We are about the same age and height,I think a 200 would be like a mountain bike and very agile I just have a little bit of a ego and cant go 200 even tho it would probably fit me just right.so get a 250 smoker and you wont be happier.

its very true the ktms are way lighter and i have done alot of riding on the 300 xcw however you talked about hitting 5th alot, in my experience the ktms are great for tight technical single track but the wr's i like for tearing down a cut line 3rd gear plus that being said when i rode the ktm, i was and older model with 5 gears instead of six and going in 5th gear trying to keep up to the four strokes my feet were falling asleep from the vibration haha, also this was an xcw not a sx if your looking for goign super fast in the dunes i wouldnt recomend the ktm xcws that about it

I have said many times that a 200 is a great transition from a 250F. I also came from a WR250F which I rode for 3 years when I first got back into riding. Great trail bike but as my skills increased, it started to hold me back. I developed bad habits with it which I soon corrected when I got on a 2 stroke. I didn't immediately go to a 200, but it should have been the bike I went to. I rode my 05 200 for 3 years as well, only keeping my other bikes for much less time. But, you will have to evaluate whether it's the best fit for your application.

There is a HUGE difference in handling and power between the 2. The WR will feel like a boat anchor after you ride a 200, and it will feel like you are towing a boat anchor as well. The 200 is often called a mtn bike with a motor and I agree with this assessment.

They have very similar power delivery down low to mid with the 200 walking away from the WR up top. The WR will feel more planted in the rocks and roots, but the 200 will float over a lot of rough terrain.

The 200 has a 6 speed, which I don't get to use much, and it doesn't vibrate near as much as the bigger bikes. I imagine it would work well in the desert, but I wouldn't rule out a 250 2T as well if you are doing a lot of high speed stuff.

I rode a buddy's CRF 250 today at a local track, just to ride behind my boys and have no desire to go back to the loud, engine braking, sluggish power of a 4 stroke.

If you can afford an 08+ model, they weigh in at 209 lbs without gas. I made the change to save my back. I got tired of picking up my 265 lb+ WR, plus the engine braking and on/off throttle tired me out. I find it much easier to be smooth on the 2 stroke.

You need to ride one, that is the only way to know for yourself.

Edited by gmoss

KTM, Race Bike, Yamaha Play Bike.

thanks for the imput guys. i'm still on the fence about this, here is why. i rode an 08 yzf 250 a while back because people told me "they are so much lighter". when i picked the bike up from a friend i was shocked at how light it was compared to my wr just dropping it to the ground and lifting it back up.

when i got out to ride the bike, as soon as i was moving, it felt just like my wr. so i may be able to ride a ligther bike longer but i noticed no flickability difference or handling differences, of course i'm not out there jumping either. when i compare the weights online the ktm 200 is 209, but with 3 gal of gas it's 227. the yzf 250 is 204 and with gas is 216. it is a lighter bike than the ktm. i don't know how to weight this out, i don't know anyone with a 200 and i'm thinking i will discover the same thing as with the yzf. i don't know if it would be worth mixing gas, buying armor and rekluse for the ktm, all of which i have for the wr. ughh

KTM, Race Bike, Yamaha Play Bike.

i would agree that the crf 230 and ttr 230 are play bikes, but the wr's are not. i'm sure we will have to agree to disagree on this though. the ktm is more of a specialized bike than the wr's though, i will give you that.

thanks for the imput guys. i'm still on the fence about this, here is why. i rode an 08 yzf 250 a while back because people told me "they are so much lighter". when i picked the bike up from a friend i was shocked at how light it was compared to my wr just dropping it to the ground and lifting it back up.

when i got out to ride the bike, as soon as i was moving, it felt just like my wr. so i may be able to ride a ligther bike longer but i noticed no flickability difference or handling differences, of course i'm not out there jumping either. when i compare the weights online the ktm 200 is 209, but with 3 gal of gas it's 227. the yzf 250 is 204 and with gas is 216. it is a lighter bike than the ktm. i don't know how to weight this out, i don't know anyone with a 200 and i'm thinking i will discover the same thing as with the yzf. i don't know if it would be worth mixing gas, buying armor and rekluse for the ktm, all of which i have for the wr. ughh

i would agree that the crf 230 and ttr 230 are play bikes, but the wr's are not. i'm sure we will have to agree to disagree on this though. the ktm is more of a specialized bike than the wr's though, i will give you that.

Riderdown, the proof doesn't lie here, it lies out there on the trail and track.:smirk: It sounds like the only way you will believe it is to ride a 200. I went thru a lot of bikes before buying one. And to keep from making another mistake, I rented a 200 for a day before being sold myself. I can say with confidence that if you like the power and power delivery of the WR, don't like the weight, and want a little more giddyup, the 200 will more than satisfy you. The fun factor is off the scale comparatively.

Did you read my post? I have 3 years each on the WR and the 200, the older, heavier 200 at that (225lbs wet). I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT that even my old heavy 200 rides lighter than a WR or a YZF. It's physics. The gyroscopic affect of the 4 stroke, engine braking, and weight distribution all play a role in making almost any 2 stroke feel and ride lighter than a 4 stroke.

As far as the weights go, it is well known that the japs misstate their weights. No way is the YZF lighter than a current generation 200, no way. It may get close with gas only because it holds half or less the gas a 200 does. The japs list their "dry" weight which excludes ALL fluids where KTM lists their "wet" weights without gas, significant difference.

I can tell you that my SXF was lighter than the YZF and in no way was it as flickable as my 200, it carries its weight too high.

I laugh when I hear about folks worrying about mixing gas. That is a lot easier than changing oil and filters every other ride, or trying to make a jetting change, or just do simple maintenance.:smirk:

A rekluse is personal preference, but unnecessary on the 2 stroke, especially the 200. They don't stall often and when you do need to kick it, they can almost be cranked by hand. As far as guards, skid plate and handguards is about all ya need.

Believe me when I tell you that you don't know what you are missing and get a ride on one, and then work on it. LOL

As far as the WR being a play bike, I believe it is better than that, but it is no where near the bike the KTM's are. I raced my WR for 2 years and it held up well, but the components and complexity of the WR just make it a less than suitable choice for me.

I have ridden Yamahas and KTMs back to back in Baja and I couldn't wait to get off the Yamahas. As far as 250fs go the Yamaha is very dated. I'm not saying they aren't a good bike but they are not for someone who has put in a lot of saddle time on a KTM. Fit, finish, quality, performance sorry the KTM is far better. Compared to a KTM a WR is a play bike. Plus I don't like valves.

Edited by ktmfred300

I am very curious now, is this bike right for the desert? Also how easy does the front end come up, this is one of the places the wr serfiously lacks.

I am very curious now, is this bike right for the desert? Also how easy does the front end come up, this is one of the places the we seriously lacks.

I have never had an issue with getting the front end up. I do use clutch sometimes to "launch" the front tire over obstacles, but I have a feeling my riding is different from what you encounter.

I mentioned earlier that the 250 may suit you well also if you ride a lot of high speed stuff. You will just have to figure out what % of time you will be spending riding that. If there is any technical riding out there, it is a great choice for that.

I like to ride mine almost trials like thru the techy stuff. I run a trials tire which gives it gobs of traction.

So is your opinion that the top speed is not much better than the wr? Also tis the 250 heavier, defeating the weight reduction?

So is your opinion that the top speed is not much better than the wr? Also tis the 250 heavier, defeating the weight reduction?

I don't get to test top speed much where I ride. I really don't like riding much above 45 mph for very long. IDK what the top speed or cruising speed is for the WR.

The 250 weighs a little more but still a long way from a WR. The WR is very top heavy compared to any of the KTM 2 strokes.

The newer 250's weigh in around 216. My WR weighed in at 265 with gas, no way can the KTM gain that much weight.

You really need to just find someone with a bike that you can take a spin on.

As much as I liked dinking around on my WR, it was a PITA to work on, maintain. It was tiring to ride and slow to change directions. I know the later models are better, but not that much. I ride KTM for a # of reasons from the ease and lack of maintenance, to the smooth on/off throttle, and how cheap they are to rebuild.

I topped my 06 200 xc-w out at 71 last weekend on a flat hard packed logging road. Probably coulda rung another MPH or two out of her,but that would have just been abuse for no good reason. I have zero experience with WR 250,as I came off a WR 400,which seemed like it had a much higher top speed. I know that's irrelevant,but I'm just throwing it out there. Have you given the 300 any consideration?

i'm thinking that would be to much power and wear me out quicker. i weigh 155 and want more power but not power like a 450 has.

i'm thinking that would be to much power and wear me out quicker. i weigh 155 and want more power but not power like a 450 has.

Ahh then the 200 should be just fine for you. I weight considerably more (70lbs) and I find mine to have all the power I actually need. I'm sure you could easily get away with dropping a tooth on the back to get a little more top speed if mid 70's isnt enough. Since I got the jetting worked out on mine I honestly don't have a bad word to say about it. I have two Honda 4t(450x xr400) mounted riding buddies who are both strongly considering making the jump to an orange 2t after taking short test rides on my bike.

I ride a 07 250xcw through lots of technical stuff but also love the WOT areas as well. Lots of adjustability too by using one of three different power valve springs and 2 different ignition curves. I weigh 210 suited up and this bike moves out very well.

That said, I've also spent some time on my buddys 05 200EXC and enjoy his bike as well. It rips quite well through the upper rpm's. I'd say the bikes are are quite similar with mine having more low end grunt and maybe a little on the top end but not by much.

Prior to the 200, he had a CRF250X (similar to WR250F). Very nice and relatively light bike but did not have the power that his 200 has.

155? At about 50 pounds lighter than me, that's the equivalient of free horsepower throughout the entire range from my perspective!

this sucks, i can't even find one for sale. trying oregon, may have to wait until the 2012 line comes out.

You need to look around out of state. Lynnwood Motoplex 425-774-0505. They are a large dealer outside Seattle.