Why do they make it so hard for new riders to race?

Hey all,

I was just curious why they dont make it easier for new people to enter racing. We always here how they want new and more riders to race and grow the sport...which i completely agree with.

Most races have an A, B, and C class that you can enter. Why dont they have a true novice or beginner class for racing? Its daunting and not very fun to rn a C class race with guy who have been racing for 5 years and you are just beginning.

Any thoughts?

Some racing organizations DO have such a class I think. One thing you need to learn as a new racer, speaking from a road racing background, is to learn how to be passed.

The big thing about racing is to hold your lines and try not do anything unexpected. The faster guys who area about to pass you have a plan to get around you and unless you're racing against Bubba Stewart that plan probably didn't involve running you over.

Instead of jumping right into racing, spend a season going to the local tracks practicing and getting use to being on the track with a lot of other riders. I would even suggest attending a MX school or getting private instruction from a local pro. It's money well spent. I went to the Jimmy Weinert MX school last month with my son, it's a great school and you will learn a lot. They seperate skill levels. It is a bit costly but if not something like that, like I said, there are local pro's that will give instruction by the hr. When you are ready to enter a race, don't stress, just do your best and enjoy yourself. Just keep in mind what the person before me said about maintaining your line. Good luck.?

Yea, when i was living in NC there were a few D classes that they held. That was much much better than the C classes i have found up here in NJ. I understand holding your line and all of that, but even when you do, you are still getting absoluely killed out there. It just seems like they need to do a better job with classing people, or regulating it.

Thanks NSF. Where abouts do you live in NJ and where do you mainly ride? I am pretty sure we have talked before but im just trying to meet some people now to make some friends and riding buddies. I am in Metuchen which is in the middle of Edison from what im told

Thanks NSF. Where abouts do you live in NJ and where do you mainly ride? I am pretty sure we have talked before but im just trying to meet some people now to make some friends and riding buddies. I am in Metuchen which is in the middle of Edison from what im told

Well I was going to Englishtown and Blue Diamond most of the time, but I suffered an injury while at the MX school which resulted in surgery and 5 screws and a metal plate in my left leg (knee). I will be out most of the season. It was a freak accident on the track, washed out in a turn and went down on my leg with it going in opposite direction. I live in Little Egg Harbor, exit 58 off Prkwy.

I'm sure most tracks would like to do this, but it would require a ton of scheduling reworking, and just the logistics of it don't make sense, sure they may attract a few more riders, but then they have to pay for the extra time for the paramedics, people would get less riding time, etc.

Maybe i dont understand but what would be so hard about adding one more race to the schedule? I dont mean for practicing and all of that. And NSF thats not good my friend. Sorry to hear about that.

Maybe i dont understand but what would be so hard about adding one more race to the schedule? I dont mean for practicing and all of that. And NSF thats not good my friend. Sorry to hear about that.

Thanks buddy. I will heal and hopefully see some track time before the season is over. I don't know how old you are, but if you are over 30, try some vet over 30 C classes. I think it wouldn't be as bad as an open class where you have some of these younger guys riding like it was the end of the world.

I am 24 and will be 25 in September. You can send me a PM if you would like, but do you know of any other less known track that people ride at? I would love to find some places other than the big 3 or so.

Some districts do have this; mine does. I just raced it last weekend. ?

It is definitely slower than novice, but still not dog slow. I think that is because of the sandbagging factor.

This is so true. If they would add this class, the fast c class rider would just run this class also. Sandbagging is all to common.

At this one track they had a beginner (D) class. Half the guys were doing this huge step-up. The promotors told them they should move to C class, D class should not be jumping this big jump. Instead of moving up, the kids just stopped doing the step-up during the race.

If you're up for a 2-hour or so drive check out Pagoda in Birdsboro, PA. C class still has some super-fast kids up front like most tracks, but they get more beginner-level riders than most other tracks I race at.

AJD, where do you ride and race in NY? Myself and another guy know about Walden, and AK Farms.

Im over in NY about 20 min from both these tracks and race them.

The C class for these tracks are 50+ riders and they split it into 2 qualifiers and 1 LCQ if u didnt make the 18th place or better cut during your qualifier. the LQC u need like 3rd or better to go to the "main". They need a 4th class like a D because there is clearly 2 packs when the gate drops for the main, the slower set and the sandbagger set.

There is a track on Long Island called Long Island motocross that has practices throughout the week and weekend and they run a D class or something for practices that dont allow the riders to jump, while that may be a bit extreme it may be something for you to get your feet wet at. Its maybe 20-30min across the Throggs Neck Bridge.

Theres two "private" tracks about a 15 min bike ride from my house, one for jumping and 1 with every type of turn ud want. If ur up for makin the trip im sure I can get a big ride set up, or meet u at LIMX.