Oil leak! Am I in big trouble?

thanks to everyone on this forum I got the XR running again. Now this-first noticed it smoking between the exhaust flange and cylinder head around one bolt. This came from the area right above my finger. What's happening??

PICT1275.jpg

I would guess that oil is leaking from the head cover gasket. Try and trace down what area the oil is coming from.

I would guess that oil is leaking from the head cover gasket. Try and trace down what area the oil is coming from.

How much of a tear down should I do to trace this out? Or just clean the head areas and try to see where it's coming from with the bike running?

Just clean the head areas and try to see where it's coming from with the bike running.

Sounds like you just had the thing apart.... did you put on a new head cover gasket on re-assembly? are all head cover bolts torqued to spec?(mine leaked because a bolt or two had stripped the threads out of the head and wouldn't torque down, I rode it a few months anyway and just kept a close eye on the oil level)

just clean the head areas and try to see where it's coming from with the bike running?

Do this first. No need to tear the head off if it might be coming from the cover gasket. Once you know where the leak is, you can better plan the repair.

Yes just clean it and try to see where it leaks from. Sorry I should have explained a little better.

Got it thanks, everyone. BTW, it just started doing this on its own. Haven't had it torn down or heads off at all.