cams sound..."rough"

What people are trying to tell you is you need to find Top Dead Center, check your valves, and KNOW if that is what is making the noises you hear. What they are also suggesting is to replace the ACCT with a manual one. It's hard to know what noises you are hearing...check your valves (process documented in FAQ) and order a MCCT from the TT store.

You aren't giving enough information. You didn't even say which DRZ you have.

Yes, these engines make mechanical noise, but there's no way to know what noises are coming out of yours.

Since you really don't know the difference between the ACCT and MCCT, take a few minutes and read the FAQ's. Lots of great info there.

Answer these questions at least. What year and model and how long have you had it. It sounds like it's a new to your bike. The more info you provide, the more we can help.

Also, search youtube vids for DRZ's. Maybe you'll be able to tell if your sounds like everyone elses.

Steve

Have you done the loctite fixes? Are you describing spark knock noise from cracking the throttle or a metallic hammer on metal knock? If it is a metal on metal knock and you have not done the locktite fixes it is time to remove the right side cover (drain water and oil, attempt to save gasket) and check the primary nut and balance shaft nut. All covered in FAQ section. You have read the FAQ section right?

If for example the balance shaft nut is loose and the pin is starting to work loose in the shaft, that can let the balance shaft hit the crank which is very very bad in a 'engine abruptly locks up' kinda way. There have been examples where owners heard 'pinging' and the contact was not yet severe which was relatively easy to repair by fixing the pin and gear.

im just asking if my bike sounding loud at the cams is because there is something wrong with my ACCT?

If the ACCT is not working properly it could let the cam chain be a bit loose (or a lot) and slap. Take the valve cover off and see if the chain seems tight.

Why change to MCCT (manual cam chain tensioner)?

What you really want is the chain to have no play, but no tension on it either. The ACCT (automatic) has a spring in it and a locking ratchet. The problem is the spring pushing on the chain all the time to make the ratchet move can stretch the chain. Also, the ratchet can fail and let the chain loosen under certain conditions. Worst case scenario the chain jumps teeth on the cams.

A MCCT lets you take out all the play, without putting any tension on the chain, and virtually no chance of failure.

this may sound stupid but how do you get the motor to top dead center? I know you look through the site window in the engine but how do you turn the motor?

Also, Is there anywhere that has a photo walkthrough?

yes i read the FAQs about the cams and its quite possibly the most confusing thing i ever read...I really thought about doing this until i sat down and really read it instead of just skimming it....it needs pics of each step for anyone to understand anything of it!

how in the hell you guys figure out what shims you need from that write-up is beyond me!?!?!?

There is a plug on the stator cover just below the sight plug its the big one on the side of the engine with the hex drive Remove it and put a 17mm socket on the nut u see in there. Make sure the transmission is in neutral and turn that socket until the line Is in the centre of the sight window.

yes i read the FAQs about the cams and its quite possibly the most confusing thing i ever read...I really thought about doing this until i sat down and really read it instead of just skimming it....it needs pics of each step for anyone to understand anything of it!

how in the hell you guys figure out what shims you need from that write-up is beyond me!?!?!?

either you have never done any work on a motor and are very afraid of this, which means you should probably not do this yourself, or your just freaking your self out, Checking the vlave clearance is a very easy procedure:Remove valve cover and spark plug,TDC, insert feeler guage, write it down. If it is infact out of spec,Judging from your question on shim size which is simple math, you'd be better of to take it somewhere. Good luck