Sign in to follow this  

Calling all geniuses

I have a problem that I cannot figure out. When the bike gets warm 170-180 and drops below a certain rpm it just dies, and will not start back until it reaches about 120-130 degrees then it will start and runs perfect. I think it has an electrical issue. I have tried 3 CDI's (1 stock 1 tokyo mods and 1 LeoVince), 2 wire harnesses, and 3 coil packs. All measurements are in spec as far as static settings from the stator. It has a Trail Tech lighting stator, TT lighting flywheel, tt regulator, headlight currently running the LeoVince CDI . The only thing I am going to do next is send the stator back to TT and get them to check it. I am at a total loss. It runs so good before it warms up and I invite any suggestions. The valves are in perfect spec also.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MrRemote
Spelling

To me it sound like there a problem with Stator it self or the Pickup coil it self.

This it's not a electrical issue more like a bad stator winding issue or bad pickup coil which also wire winding or casing is crack or bad spot

Thanks, that is the conclusion TT and I have come to after extensive testing and talking. I have a new stator commin on Fri I will post back with results.

Basically TT said that when the coils on the stator heat up they start to separate and get weak. (Weak spark) That is why it is impossible to crank until it cools back down. That is also why when the rpm drops below a certain point it just dies.

The issues you are describing sound like a classic stator issue. I bet youll be happy. coils act the same way when faulty....failing when hot, but working great until up to temp.

Tom

Thanks for the reinforcement of the theory. I needed some reassuring.

The issue is with the Trailtech flywheels ...

I have all but GIVEN UP trying to get them to work properly! Trailtech has sent me new flywheels, stators, etc. I have done 3 seperate install combinations and NONE of them work properly. Tried BOTH lighting and non-lighting versions, with their stators and without.

Drop in the stock flywheel ... and everything is fine again.:smirk:

The R&D for this flywheel by Trailtech *for the CRF150R is COMPLETELY lacking ! I got sick of being the "guinea pig" trying every different combo. Nothing more frustrating when you do another combination, and the bike dies after 5 minutes of riding. Really fun .. especially when it happens 3 times and ruins a day of riding every time (not to mention countless hours of installs).:smirk:

Trailtech has excellent customer service and I would highly recommend almost every one of their products EXCEPT the flywheel for the CRF150R. I have used 5 different flywheels on the CRF450R and never a problem. The one for the CRF150R has been a complete nightmare!!

Secondly, you "think" your buying a +11oz flywheel ?? .. drop it on a digital scale and see how many ounces over stock your really getting. You might be surprised.

Sorry for the rant ... Trailtech the company is excellent .. however this flywheel is poor and needs more research and development.

Apologize for being pessimistic .. but I have travelled down the road your on, and every time hit a dead end. I now have a stator kit and 2 11oz flywheels (lighting and non) sitting in a box doing nothing. My suggestion would be get your money back.

If by chance you get it working let us know. Trailtech will do everything to help you from a customer service perspective ... and who knows .. maybe you'll get it working ...but in the end its the product that is faulty ... not the service.

Have you been able to figure out what happens with the flywheel? I guess I should have mentioned that This setup was working great for over a year. They (TT) did mention that they had some flywheels go out that had the magnets polarity reversed on them, but he said that it would not have worked from the start. I will definitely report back in on my results. How long ago and how long have you been dealing with this issue? also does the stock flywheel work with the lighting stator? If it does I will try it when I get home tonight.

Thanks, Even for the rant

Rhett

Have you been able to figure out what happens with the flywheel? I guess I should have mentioned that This setup was working great for over a year. They (TT) did mention that they had some flywheels go out that had the magnets polarity reversed on them, but he said that it would not have worked from the start. I will definitely report back in on my results. How long ago and how long have you been dealing with this issue? also does the stock flywheel work with the lighting stator? If it does I will try it when I get home tonight.

Thanks, Even for the rant

Rhett

I bought the 1st version as soon as it was released (fall 2009). It was marketed as a lighting flywheel that ALSO worked with the stock stator. It didn't. The bike would run for a couple minutes .. stall out, and would not start again until it cooled. Repeat process over and over.

TT sent me a new lighting stator, and it worked for about 1 hour into the ride, and then the usual "chug chug ...stall".

Finally back to stock ... and everything perfect .. no issues. *** Stock flywheel AND stock stator.

Since then TT has released a NON-lighting flywheel option. They sent me this "new" non-lighting flywheel and instructed me to install it WITH the TT stator. If that didn't work, then as a 2nd option try using the stock stator. Two many installs for my liking (like this takes 2 minutes) and option for MORE ruined rides, so I gave up, and shelved everything.

I still have not installed it. Its sitting on my shelf. That is why I am interested to see if you get yours working. The reason I shelved it was also because upon weighing it, is was 3 oz lighter than advertised. So in otherwords ... i thought I was buying a +11 oz flywheel, but in reality it was a +8 oz. Since I have a 9 oz stealy weight added, there is no point changing it out at the risk of going through all this again.

I would like to know if ANYBODY has the +11oz flywheel working with the stock stator??? Surely somebody has ??

Good luck with this either way ... let us know how it turns out.

TT is great to deal with (one of the best), but they can't fix a manufacturing flaw, which is what they seem to have on their hands.:smirk: I have nothing but positives to say about this company ... the negatives are all geared towards this one product itself.

I had a steahly weight that came loose and destryed the stock stator and so I bought the TT lighting stator. I ran it like this for probably 8-9 months with no issues. Then they came out with the heavy lighting flywheel and that ran for about a year and it progressively got more difficult to crank, but still ran great. I then had a back injury and it was parked for about 3 months during that time I made a lot of upgrades (ha-ha) like adding a headlight and TM ignition. I immediately started having issues So I assumed it was the ignition, I put the stock one back on and still same issues. Then I discovered the coil pack was not reading correctly (open between terminal a and the spark plug end). I replaced it and still issues both ignitions, I got a new wiring harness and in the proces of swapping it I realized that I had a shorted wire coming from the light side of the stator, after the reg rec. I fixed that and started the whole process over again with the same results. so I got a 3rd ignition thinking I had damaged the other 2 with the short, same problem. At this point the only thing left was the stator.

I will report back when I find out tomorrow.

In writing and reading it back, Of course the stock flywheel will work with the lighting stator thats how I ran it.

Edited by MrRemote
Opps

The issue is with the Trailtech flywheels ...

I have all but GIVEN UP trying to get them to work properly! Trailtech has sent me new flywheels, stators, etc. I have done 3 seperate install combinations and NONE of them work properly. Tried BOTH lighting and non-lighting versions, with their stators and without.

Drop in the stock flywheel ... and everything is fine again.:smirk:

The R&D for this flywheel by Trailtech *for the CRF150R is COMPLETELY lacking ! I got sick of being the "guinea pig" trying every different combo. Nothing more frustrating when you do another combination, and the bike dies after 5 minutes of riding. Really fun .. especially when it happens 3 times and ruins a day of riding every time (not to mention countless hours of installs).:smirk:

Trailtech has excellent customer service and I would highly recommend almost every one of their products EXCEPT the flywheel for the CRF150R. I have used 5 different flywheels on the CRF450R and never a problem. The one for the CRF150R has been a complete nightmare!!

Secondly, you "think" your buying a +11oz flywheel ?? .. drop it on a digital scale and see how many ounces over stock your really getting. You might be surprised.

Sorry for the rant ... Trailtech the company is excellent .. however this flywheel is poor and needs more research and development.

Apologize for being pessimistic .. but I have travelled down the road your on, and every time hit a dead end. I now have a stator kit and 2 11oz flywheels (lighting and non) sitting in a box doing nothing. My suggestion would be get your money back.

If by chance you get it working let us know. Trailtech will do everything to help you from a customer service perspective ... and who knows .. maybe you'll get it working ...but in the end its the product that is faulty ... not the service.

trailtech has been nothing but absolute junk in all my encounters...

Well, it was the stator. I did not realize how much I missed the instant start-ups and throttle response as well as smooth idle. I do not think that 1-1/2 to 2 years for a stator to last is acceptable and I ma look into another setup if and when it happens again.

I cannot say enough for the service that Trail Tech has given me I know that they have spent at least an hour with me on the phone, gave me a great deal on a new stator.

I would also like to give some praise to TokyoMods for their support I have never bought anything directly from them other than a programing fee for my ignition. They brought in a bike and tested my ignition just to make sure that nothing was wrong with it.

Thanks for all of the responses and info, I love this forum. Great people with a huge knowledge base. I wish more people would post conclusions to issues that are posted, it helps everybody out.