fuel leaking from bottom of carb when fuel is "on"

Oh yeah....It happens:smirk:

Murphy's Law. I helped him write that, BTW. He still comes over to my place a couple of times a month for burgers, and we talk about old times.

Few people know this, but I'm sure that a working pro like yourself will appreciate the fact that Murphy was a mechanic. ?

• 1 month later...

Are you talking about the hose that comes from the very bottom of the carb? The one that is on the bottom of the float bowl? If so, you might just have to tighten that screw in and make sure it's seated all the way.

According to Murphy, with the bowl sideways he'll take it off, the float pin will fall out, dropping the float on the ground, and the needle will go...somewhere. ?

Would it be a bad idea to drill a hole there and use a set s screw to prevent that from happening? I've seen set screw that are only 1 or 2 mm wide. I'm just thinking out loud..

bike shops will prolly charge you $100 to do a 10 minute carb job

Aint that the truth... The dealer i worked at charged something like $60 to change a dirt bike tire even if you brought in only the wheel. They helped me do it the first time i changed a tire and it was something like 15 minutes to swap tires. Rip off. Stealership.

Would it be a bad idea to drill a hole there and use a set s screw to prevent that from happening? I've seen set screw that are only 1 or 2 mm wide. I'm just thinking out loud..

It would be 100% waste of time. The pin can't go anywhere with the bowl on.

If you don't want to spill your coffee, don't turn your cup upside down.

• 1 year later...

With the correct tools and a bit of patience , carb does not have to be loosened/twisted/ or removed to clean/change the jets or set float height, the simple stuff.

I was riding yesterday when all of the sudden (while coasting to a stop with clutch in) the bike started bogging. When at complete stop had to rev it to keep it running. Gas was pouring out of overflow / carb drain line. In a rush to pull away to go back home I dumped the clutch and stalled it . Had to push it a ways to a hill and luckily I got it roll started .

Once home I pulled bowl, turned on petcock and checked for proper operation . Needle valve not shutting the flow off soon enough. Cleaned the seat and needle, a bit of varnish . Still leaking. Bent the float tab up a tiny bit and checked, solved it. Also while i had the bowl off I swapped the Philips heads for stainless Allen heads that were waiting for a reason to go in !'

Edited by Slow_ride

I had this happen a couple times towards the end of last years riding season. I'd turn on the gas, and fuel would just pour out of the overflow. I took the bowl off, and sure enough the float was sticking. I took a closer look, and my needle was stuck inside of the seat. I removed it, and the needle actually had corrosion around the base of the needle, and it was causing it to stick when traveling inside of the seat. I cleaned it up and put everything back together, and sure enough, after a few rides, it started to leak again.

I have the carb apart right now just doing some cleaning, and I'm going to just replace the set. Not sure if I got some bad gas or what, but something worked its way to the needle and started corroding things up a bit.

I had this happen a couple times towards the end of last years riding season. I'd turn on the gas, and fuel would just pour out of the overflow. I took the bowl off, and sure enough the float was sticking. I took a closer look, and my needle was stuck inside of the seat. I removed it, and the needle actually had corrosion around the base of the needle, and it was causing it to stick when traveling inside of the seat. I cleaned it up and put everything back together, and sure enough, after a few rides, it started to leak again.

I have the carb apart right now just doing some cleaning, and I'm going to just replace the set. Not sure if I got some bad gas or what, but something worked its way to the needle and started corroding things up a bit.

You ever ran Seafoam through the tank? If you haven't I suggest the correct mixture of seafoam in your next tank. I always buy the pint, if you ride alot( 2 full tanks of gas a week is about what I average) try buying a pint, put it in your first tank, then every 2nd 3rd tank a few times. Seafoam works miracles around my place. It's not replacement for a proper carb tune up, but what's more fun the cleaning while you ride.

Funny thing, is that I was running Seafoam through my system at the end of last year. I always use Shell or Mobil premium for the bike as well, so I just wonder if I got a high dose of ethanol or something.

I know the wonders of Seafoam all to well. I did a small test on an old 70's Dodge pickup I had, and I was amazed and the crap it took out of the carb/intake. Best stuff I have ever used that's for sure.