Sign in to follow this  

can a guy with basic mechanic skills....

check valve clearance, set timing and do it right.

Ive never been inside a 4 stroke engine before but have heard from several people that if you have a good walkthrough you can do it...

Yes. And I'm sure there are procedures in FAQ. There is no timing to set unless you are taking cam timing and that is only if you take the cams out to change shims.

I was in your shoes a couple months ago. Never messed with the valves (or any engine work) before. Followed the FAQ valve clearance procedure and had no problems... other than reading my feeler gauge wrong and thinking my valves were out of spec :thumbsup: It's really easy, just take your time, take pictures, and all you really need is a feeler gauge. You won't need to mess with timing unless something else has already gone terribly wrong internally.

Easy if you have nothing to adjust.

If you have to take the cams out, put a little dot of correction fluid on the cams and pins to show you where to put them back to. use a bungee over the frame to hold the chain.

Turn the engine over by hand 720' before starting.

The hardest bit is using the feelers correctly. A lot fail there. light resistance is the key, not what you can shove in the gap.

Make sure that everythings clean, take your time, and if you're not sure, stop, come and check on here.

You'll be fine. I was pleasantly suprised first time I attempted it, even though I had to remove the cams and change two shims, it all went well, and just as described on here.

Take photoes as you go if you want a reference to look back at.

check valve clearance, set timing and do it right.

Ive never been inside a 4 stroke engine before but have heard from several people that if you have a good walkthrough you can do it...

Most users have been able to follow the simple procedures with no issues.. A few users that have "expertise" in this or that,,,, not so well..Seems the non "Expert" does better at reading and following instructions.

No FAQ write up is a replacement for the Service manual and common sense, nor admitting when you don't know something and stopping to ask. ...

DRZ Valve Clearance Check and Adjustment plus Cam timing