Sign in to follow this  

Oil change and a gritty filter

So after our Saturday 'Main Divide Ride' I needed to do a quick oil change on the 450x as it is due. I was in a pinch for time and quickly empited the oil in the eng and trans. I then took out the oil filter and grabbed a new one. There was still oil in the area so I stuck my finger in to get it out and when I did my finger was covered with oil and lots of grit. I quickly grabbed the old filter and tore apart some of the folds to discover that the filter was filled with different shades of grey metal (I assume alum and steel) and some goldish looking chunks (mag maybe?). I did notice that the bike was running a little rough (had more vibes than normal) but I just wrote it off to the dirt tires on the street back through Ortega.

So my question is, how bad do you think it is? Could it just be a bottom end teardown and new bearings or is it most likely terminal? Anyone seen these clues and then had it torn apart? For about 3 seconds I though about just replacing the oil and filter and running it but then I thought about it getting worse and blowing a hole in the side of the case.

Thanks for looking, any input would be appreciated. (Also, let me know if you have a suggestion on where to take it to get checked out as this is beyond the amount of time that I have to spend on it as we have a 6 month old)

Sounds like time for bottom end. Where in Ca are you located?

I bought an X model with a locked engine and found those gold shavings... The gold shavings are the crank thrust washers self destructing. Plan on doing a complete bottom end rebuild like Baja184 said. Here is a thread with pictures (2nd page has the pictures of the engine with the cases split):

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957680

Thanks, that is what I thought but wanted to double check. I am near Irvine in OC.

The motor is stock right now with a rejet. While I am doing this work I am thinking about these additional items:

1. FMF Q4 and power bomb header

2. Hot Cams stage 2

3. A rejet of course

4. A head job with TRX valves (suggestions on who to do the head work?)

5. A weighted flywheel

6. A stronger stator and large baja design light / or an HID setup

Any other thoughts?

Thanks, that is what I thought but wanted to double check. I am near Irvine in OC.

The motor is stock right now with a rejet. While I am doing this work I am thinking about these additional items:

1. FMF Q4 and power bomb header

2. Hot Cams stage 2

3. A rejet of course

4. A head job with TRX valves (suggestions on who to do the head work?)

5. A weighted flywheel

6. A stronger stator and large baja design light / or an HID setup

Any other thoughts?

Stock jetting? Yeah that's a MUST.

Once you re-jet and change the pipe, you won't need a flywheel weight.

Consider a OEM '05 cam, as they are not re-grinds.

Sounds like time for bottom end. Where in Ca are you located?

+2 IMO it's way better to find out you need a crank rebuild before it comes out the bottom end and shows it self.

The motor is stock right now with a reject

Stock jetting? Yeah that's a MUST.

Appears it isn't stock jetting :smirk:

Appears it isn't stock jetting :smirk:

Jake--You're not going to make many friends here poindextering a guy who is really generous to all comers with his time and knowledge. Be part of the crew brother! :smirk:

That's cool. Just clarifying that we're all on the same team here. It's not like a political or fan forum where we look to tear eachother down. That is saved for the trails and the track :smirk:

Nathan

That's cool man, i think I sometimes cone across not as I mean too on here!! :smirk:

You come across fine. Most of us have pretty thick skin so feel free to rip on who ever you want.

Pulling the motor tonight, will post pictures after it is torn down and we figure out what went wrong.

For those things you don't feel comfortable doing, like rebuilding the head send them/it to AS Racing in Valencia. Paul will fix you up. If you're like me you'll do everything except the head and maybe pressing bearings, which he can do.

Update:

I picked up the rebuilt motor on Monday and have it back in the bike. Chris @ CPR FAB in Costa Mesa was great. He came in right at his quote and has great customer service. He is a baja racer like I am and we surprisingly bumped into each other at the B500.

I went with the 02R cam, SS valves, head job, FMF Q exhaust and header and new clutch. I am waiting for a few other parts to come in to get back in the dirt. The link is to a youtube vid of him assembling my motor. Enjoy!