XR650L Smog Removal DIY Video

I finally got around to editing and uploading a video I created on how to remove the smog stuff and install a IMS block off kit. It's a very straight forward modification but the consensus lately has been that the current popular instructions on 4strokes (and most others) have a mistake. Most of them say to remove the charcoal canister but the piece they are referring to is actually the oil separator. Some guys that have removed this have issues with oil getting into places it shouldn't, so I'd suggest leaving it on. It doesn't seem to make a performance difference anyway and it's not like it weighs a lot.

The charcoal canister is actually located near the lower front left of the engine (hose from your gas cap connects to it). Only California models have them so it's just one less thing for you to take off if you have a non-CA XRL.

Anyways, I hope this video helps!

Mike B

I've been fighting the 'oil sep/charcoal canister' thing since '02, I've given up.

I left the oil sep off mine because it's a big pile of ugly that got in the way when I was dialing in the jetting, I don't get much oil in the airbox so I've just left it off.

Dave

I've been fighting the 'oil sep/charcoal canister' thing since '02, I've given up.

I left the oil sep off mine because it's a big pile of ugly that got in the way when I was dialing in the jetting, I don't get much oil in the airbox so I've just left it off.

Dave

Ya it seems most people don't have a problem with it but some do so I just recommended in the video to leave it on.

Mike B

Well done video, Michael, thanks ?. I've been looking into yanking the eco-crap, but not exactly being the most mechanical guy around, I've been reluctant to even try and order block-off kit, LOL !!! But, this video was considerably more enlightening than the 29 part series of photos I found on 4-Strokes ( and even that was mighty useful).

Anyway, where exactly can I order the block-off kit ? I keep looking for it, but it's out of stock, or for another bike, or whatever, and I can't make heads-or-tales out of the TT store ( computers ain't exactly my thing,either ? ).

Thanks for taking the time to post that Vid,

Please excuse my NoObNeSs but why exactly am I removing the smog stuff?

I searched and found this posted by XR650L_DAVE

If you're going to leave it on, I wouldn't even bother plugging the lines.

The smog removal has no effect on performance, it only sheds:

- weight

- ugly

- pop on deceleration

and the popping will be reduced if you rejet.

Are you near NYC and they are doing visual smog equip checks on motorcycles?

Elsewhere in NY, they aren't checking.

Dave

So why am I taking it off?

I have the IMS SMOG kit, a 1st stage Jet kit, K&N filter, all still in the boxes

I have the IMS SMOG kit, a 1st stage Jet kit, K&N filter, all still in the boxes

It's ugly and heavy, and if you ride in the mud it'll pack mud around it and make it run hotter.

Dave

I'm glad it's been helpful guys ?

Well done video, Michael, thanks ?. I've been looking into yanking the eco-crap, but not exactly being the most mechanical guy around, I've been reluctant to even try and order block-off kit, LOL !!! But, this video was considerably more enlightening than the 29 part series of photos I found on 4-Strokes ( and even that was mighty useful).

Anyway, where exactly can I order the block-off kit ? I keep looking for it, but it's out of stock, or for another bike, or whatever, and I can't make heads-or-tales out of the TT store ( computers ain't exactly my thing,either :prof: ).

I ordered mine from the TT site. I agree the site is not very user friendly, so it's not just you! Seems overly complicated.

Try searching for IMS Baja.

Dave's the man when it comes to this stuff so you can trust his words. It may also allow the bike to run cooler since you're taking off all that stuff that hugs the engine. Basically, the bike runs a little better so to most people, it's worth the $20 plus 20 minutes.

Mike B

• 2 months later...

So basically, the oil separator just came off like a week ago when I did the kit to my 09 XR650L. I do not notice any problems so far. Is it necessary for the part to stay on or will there be any long term damage if I leave it off? Or will I be dealing w/ just an oily mess over time? If its that big of a deal, I can reinstall the separator.

Thanks,

Evan

• 3 years later...

I put the IMS blocking kit on this morning. I did leave the oil seperator on though (its not part of the smog and IMO it does help keep oil from venting and filters the crankcase air as it is connected to the air box).

I have found the kit has stopped the "popping" and is providing a smoother throttle responce. I have read from other forums (street bike, dirt bike ect.) that the smog pump is actually "pumping" cold air (from the design for desmogging) into the exhaust ports. This air/smog is cooler than the exhaust and is not only combusting in the pipe (which causes the "popping") but is also making the hot exhaust mix with cooler air and not allowing a "smooth" flow of exhaust gas it causes turbulace in the flow because of the combustion of the pumped air/smog crap. Thats why some people feel they are getting better performance, which really makes sense in the free flow of the exhaust.

It's a great benefit for $25, loss the clutter on the engine, loss the smogging, get a little more air flowing around the engine for cooling and stop the exhaust turbulance. Now you don't sound like a VW bug when you decellerate. Nice!

The only thing I change up was the vent cap (caps for California models) it was a little thin skinned IMO..... I bought one from the auto parts store and used it, it was made of thicker hose type rubber.

Just my 2 cents on the smog kit.

Ride On!