Sign in to follow this  

best way to clean foam air filters??

What methods and or products do you use to clean your air filters? I have about 8 to clean and am curious as to the easiest and most rapid way.

Thanks

dogdoc.

I spray mine down with simple green, let it soak in for about 10 minutes. Then I spray it out with the garden hose and let dry for a day before recharging. Seems to work for me and ive never had any issues.

I really like mineral spirits, followed by a quick wash with some Dawn dish soap. I can get almost a whole summer out of a gallon of mineral spirits.

I read this on this forum and it works fantastic.

I use a med. size pickle jar half full of mineral spirits or diesel. Fold the filter and shove it in, put the lid on and shake it for about 30 seconds. Squeeze all the solvent back into the jar and save it for next time. This step just removes the oil so dont be to worried about how clean it is, just that its free of the tacky oil. Then use hot water and Dawn to get all the dirt out. That will take about 10 min. Let it dry, get a large ziplock bag or the bag that is left over from the tortillias and put some filter oil in it and then the filter. Massage it around untill it is completely covered and save the bag for next time.

I wish I could remember who to credit for this, its a great system.

I just use some diesel. It will slowly eat away at the filter however. But I typically get a long life span with them.

I read this on this forum and it works fantastic.

I use a med. size pickle jar half full of mineral spirits or diesel. Fold the filter and shove it in, put the lid on and shake it for about 30 seconds. Squeeze all the solvent back into the jar and save it for next time. This step just removes the oil so dont be to worried about how clean it is, just that its free of the tacky oil. Then use hot water and Dawn to get all the dirt out. That will take about 10 min. Let it dry, get a large ziplock bag or the bag that is left over from the tortillias and put some filter oil in it and then the filter. Massage it around untill it is completely covered and save the bag for next time.

I wish I could remember who to credit for this, its a great system.

Thanks, I'll have to try this next time.

No toil products. I have a small bucket with lid that I put their cleaner in. Put in the filter and snap on the lid and shake for a minute or 2. Comes out clean as new, no muss no fuss. Rinse and wring and let it dry. Best, fastest and least messy I've found.

try using varsol cuts the filter oil very well them just rinse with soap and water to take out the dirt

PJ1 Air filter cleaner... spray it on the dirty filter.

Take a 2gal utility bucket, fill with hot water, add some dish soap.

Rinse the filter out in the soapy water.

Throw soapy water in rocks behind dumpster.

Fill bucket with hot water, no soap.

Rinse filter again.

Let it dry overnight.

Spray it with K&N air filter oil (the red stuff), install, ride.