93 rm 250 shift teeth/gear alignment question

Hi all, new member here with a question. I have searched here and the net and have yet to find the answer. Bike is 1993 rm 250 . My shifter had moved in or towards the right leg side, and the gears were not contacting each other not allowing me to shift. Now that the bike is apart I'm not sure where the teeth need to line up being there's no marks on either of the gears. Here's a pic, they are meshed in the pic but thats just me trying to get it back together and testing by hand but it doesn't feel right. I'm sure it will feel different when the bike is running but I don't want to put it back together only to be misaligned.

DSCN3511.jpg

thanks in advance I appreciate any help and intend to share what I know with others in need.

Neil

They should center them selves as you assemble them. Why did the shifter move in? Check the side case where the shift shaft contacts it. there should be a spacer built into the side case to hold it in position and keep it from pushing in too far. The gears look off one tooth. Pull the shift shaft out and turn the shift drum gear up one tooth.

They should center them selves as you assemble them. Why did the shifter move in? Check the side case where the shift shaft contacts it. there should be a spacer built into the side case to hold it in position and keep it from pushing in too far. The gears look off one tooth. Pull the shift shaft out and turn the shift drum gear up one tooth.

now I see what happened. I had that cover off last year and when I put it back on the shifter came out and then I put the cover back on. I havent rode it since, and your right there is tab on the outer cover to keep it in. All is well now. Thanks .

Heres a pic with the shift drum one tooth up , I think I went the right way.

DSCN3533.jpg