Sign in to follow this  

Washington Flooding in Kittitas county

Hey Guys, Just saw a bunch of pics on Facebook of all the flooding that is going on over there. The road going into Taneum is closed due to flooding from Taneum Creek. Feel kind of bad for all those people in that pristine valley. I feel really bad for all the people that live on the Missouri to. The world is changing for sure. :smirk: Kind of makes you wonder what part man played in all this. Not saying that's the cause but it makes you wonder.

Little Jeff

I don't wonder at all. The exact same thing happened 14 years ago when I lived there (Ellensburg) and it was worse then.

Very true, the world is an odd place right now. I went to school in Ellensburg and saw what I thought was serious flooding, but there are a lot of places in town flooded now that were high and dry in the flooding that I was there for.

The only good news is lots of rain = lots of snow melt. Quartz Mt. got 3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. I guess its only good news as long as the trails, and the road in are still in tact.

Hey Guys, Just saw a bunch of pics on Facebook of all the flooding that is going on over there. The road going into Taneum is closed due to flooding from Taneum Creek. Feel kind of bad for all those people in that pristine valley. I feel really bad for all the people that live on the Missouri to. The world is changing for sure. :smirk: Kind of makes you wonder what part man played in all this. Not saying that's the cause but it makes you wonder.

Little Jeff

just to ease your mind...get a hold of a Farmer's Almanac. Its kept track of weather records for nearly 200yrs. You'll see nothing new is happening on the block.

Our weather is related to the stellar forces that govern our existence...it has a lot to do with where we are on our orbital path through the universe. Our galaxy is moving around in a gallery of galaxies. Many much bigger than ours. These massive 'energy' sources affect our weather to the extent that my diesel truck will never.

This whole 'global warming' BS is just the current effort to get us to be less wasteful.

My $.02

This whole 'global warming' BS is just the current effort to get us to be less wasteful.

My $.02

I agree, we have ice ages and then we have warm ages. The flooding is odd to me, but probably normal. The Earthquakes are a little spooky...

But then again this stuff has probably always happened, I'm 24 and I didn't start paying attention to anything until I was 23.... and 3/4.

I don't wonder at all. The exact same thing happened 14 years ago when I lived there (Ellensburg) and it was worse then.
I was at Central when the town flooded back in the winter '96/'97! :smirk: Drove sand bags around in my truck and packed them around houses in town. Crazy times. Peoples Pond (called something else now) was all flooded out. We had all the fields flooded north of town and a river running down a sandbagged Walnut St past the 18th street deli... :smirk:

School actually closed and tons of college kids filled/hauled/placed sandbags for the community. That was cool.

Keep in mind that over time stream channels change. That means the flooding can be in different places each time it floods. Don't listen to all the Global Warming alarmism the Greens are pumping out on the news, it's a bunch a BULL CRAP!!!! The weather and climate are in a constant state of flux, it's been changing since the earth cooled and will continue until the sun goes nova and destroys it.

I for don't give a rats @$$ about the climate. With the end of the Mayan calendar looming the weather doesn't seem that important.

Bad news. As of now there isn't any access to CleElum Ranger Districts south side. Taneum and Manastash's roads have been wiped out by flood damage. Taneum is not accessable over Peoh, Granite Creek or Woods and Steele as well, due to road damage. I would plan for somewhere else on Memorial Weekend.

Anybody have any reports on Naches?

I don't think Little Naches is a good option since the trails are closed until June 15. Chinook will not open until after Memorial Day and Highway 410 was closed at the Woodshed due to flooding and mudslides.

STEVE old long lost buddy......whaddya up to? will you be working the district this year?

Joe

Hey Joe,

I will be in CleElum. How much I will be up there depends on what the state gubment does with the NOVA money. Mikki won her RCO grant, so the state budget will decide. Regardless, I will volunteer if need be.

I think the big thing about THIS flood is that it was unexpected.. We drove to Goldendale for a 2-Day Trials Event with the forecast for sunny weather all weekend only to watch the black clouds roll in Saturday afternoon and open up... then in checking the weather to see what was up, saw "FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS" What the Heck?!?! Then, the drive home along the Yakima River on Canyon Drive, we saw picnic tables where we ate on the way down, completely submerged... it all happened so quick.

You expect this in late Autumn, Winter or early Spring, but not in middle May with a clear and Sunny forecast.

So has anyone heard anything about other areas, like Entiat, Mad River or Teanaway? I see Mikki's Blog seems to indicate most if not all of the severe damage was in the Taneum / Manastash area.

I haven't heard anything about damage in Teanaway. It's still largely under snow, so time will tell. It sounds like Naches came out unscathed. I haven't heard anything about Mad River or Entiat.

Jeremy

I just finished a 70 mile ride last wednesday, from Robinson canyon to quartz mt. campground, road washed out and closed south fork manashstash, washed out at Buck meadows and baricaded, only one road open to Buck meadows and then OK but rough to the campground, snow blocking the road to the top past the campground. went back out watt canyon, road fairly good there, was a barricade at tamarack springs but someone took half of it out, so could get by on a bike or quad. maybe small jeep. the barriers were the cement hiway type. Ride hard, Ride long!! ENJOY!!!