Sign in to follow this  

First rebuild.

I'm going to rebuild my 79' RM 125 with a wiseco top end. I've had the bike since 2009 and probably put 5 hours on it tops. I'm 100% positive this bike has NEVER been rebuilt. My main question is will I notice a much bigger gain in power with a new piston, rings and Boyesen power reeds? It's gonna run me about $138 shipped.

30yr old bike with the original top end, you're going to notice more than just a little difference.

You also need to get the bore mic'ed at a shop before you order a piston. They can tell you what size to order then bore and hone to that size. You will notice a difference. How old is your air filter? You might want to start new on that too.

Check the bottom-end, it would be wise.

What should I do to the bottom end exactly? How hard and expensive is a bottom end rebuild?

bottom end through my shop runs $400-$500 plus parts. and when i say bottom end i mean a complete build. because you have to take the topend apart anyways to be able to do it.

bottom end through my shop runs $400-$500 plus parts. and when i say bottom end i mean a complete build. because you have to take the topend apart anyways to be able to do it.

For that price I could go pick up a 98' RM250 5 mins away from me.

And it'll probably need a full rebuild too. Go to your dealerr or any other shop and let me kn ow how much the labor costs for a full build. It'll be 3x what I charge.