Sign in to follow this  

Polish or powder coat???

Hey guys I need your suggestions...I just acquired a 2000 Honda CR250 that is in fair condition. I am in the process of stripping it down and rebuilding the entire bike. The aluminum frame has heavy oxidation and scratches all over it. My question: what do you guys think I should do to the frame...powder coat it or polish it? Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

i would just take green scotchbrigh amd wd-40 to the entire frame will look new.

Ditto. I bought my 02 with a polished frame. Well a half assed one. so I finished the job right, but all in all it's more of a pain in the ass than you think. Keep it simple. W-D an scotch bright will be fine.

polishing looks amazing, just know it takes a lot of work to get it there, and a lot of upkeep. I polished the frame on my 450 while trying to recover from an injury... now, every time I ride it needs a 'touch up.' My 250 has good ol' scotch brite pad and wd-40. Looks clean, and doesn't require constant attention.

Several years ago I saw a nice looking 250. It had some sort of powdwercoat that looked nice. It was medium dark grey. I would powdercoat. I am to old and have other things to take care other than keep my frame shiny. Just an old guys opinion. I say powdercoat.

i would just take green scotchbrigh amd wd-40 to the entire frame will look new.
Ditto. I bought my 02 with a polished frame. Well a half assed one. so I finished the job right, but all in all it's more of a pain in the ass than you think. Keep it simple. W-D an scotch bright will be fine.

This gets my vote as well.

Kinda depends on how much work you want to put in the bike. I know me personally idid my swingarm on my cr it looks good but I ride the bike all the time and it just looses it shine within a ride. Honestly if you ride the bike al the time I would not do it but if it is you receration bike I say do it.l

Kinda depends on how much work you want to put in the bike. I know me personally idid my swingarm on my cr it looks good but I ride the bike all the time and it just looses it shine within a ride. Honestly if you ride the bike al the time I would not do it but if it is you receration bike I say do it.l

Well said, and I agree.