250f shifting

I was just wondring how most of the 250f riders on here shift. By shift I mean what gears you guys use, and what gear your mainly in. For me im always in 3rd, sometimes hit 4th for a sec, then back to 3rd. Should I try something else?

This is a very broad question and you're going to get varied answers but I'll do my best to throw some advice out there.

There are many factors that are involved answering your question...depends on your bike's gearing, tracks you're riding, and also your riding style, etc.

The majority of your powerband on a 250 fourstroke is going to hit low to mid so it's a good habit to practice short-shifting. What I mean by that is getting through the gears faster rather than revving out like you would a 2 stroke. In theory 3rd to 4th gear sounds about right, although its hard to tell given the info you provided. Hope this helps some :smirk:

I'm gonna have to disagree. The 250fs powered is mostly at the top. I found that I would run from 2nd to 4th depending on the track. Your gonna want to stay in the higher rpms in order to get the most out of ur bike.

I'm gonna have to disagree. The 250fs powered is mostly at the top. I found that I would run from 2nd to 4th depending on the track. Your gonna want to stay in the higher rpms in order to get the most out of ur bike.

+1 i agree

I was just wondring how most of the 250f riders on here shift. By shift I mean what gears you guys use, and what gear your mainly in. For me im always in 3rd, sometimes hit 4th for a sec, then back to 3rd. Should I try something else?

Any kind of motorcycle engine has a RPM range where it makes good power. The bigger the engine the brooder the power range. On a 450 4 stroke the range is very long. 4 stroke engines have longer power ranges over 2 stokers. So on a 65, 85 or 125 the range is gong to be pretty short. This means you're going to have to shift more in order to be in the right gear at the right time. This goes for both up shifting and down shifting. A 250F is about the middle of the bikes when it comes to a long or short range. So how do you know when you're in the right gear? Let's say you're coming out of the sharp corner. Try 2nd gear and nip the clutch a little to help get the power started just right. Shift to 3rd before the RPMs hit the rev limiter.

Get the inside line on all the Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques from my new DVD (Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques). See free DVD previews and/or order online at;

http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-3-clutch-throttle-clutch-control/

Braking Techs DVD Priviews page.jpg

I'm always in 3rd, 4th, or 5th on my bike; 4th mainly. 08 rmz250 stock gearing.

i shift a lot when i ride i use every gear 1,2,3,4 and sometimes 5th, 4 strokes nowadays make usable power everywhere, find what works best for you on a practice day or something. say your coming into a corner in 2nd and shifting to 3rd after, try comin into in 3rd and rev it out a little and shift to 4th if you find its winding out. some corners you will actually find yourself getting through easier in a higher gear

as for shifting into the next gear for me i always ride with one finger on the clutch so i feather the clutch when i up shift and downshift, makes it smoother at least for me and doesnt bring RPMs down when shifting up (as would letting off the throttle to shift)

I find when riding my dad's 250f the more you wind it out into the high rpms the faster and harder you can charge into a corner. Most of the time at tight corners it is in 2nd gear while down the straights 3rd to 5th.

3rd most of the track, 2nd for tighter turns and 4th for longer straits

4th for the most part on the mx tracks

I still have a tendency to ride mine like a 2 stroke, high in the RPM range, but it works for me.

2-4 on an 08 250sxf

I find as i am getting more comfortable that I'm hitting 4th gear more often now. I'd say I spend about 80% of my time in 3rd gear, if I have a long straightaway than I hit 4th gear. The MX track that I go to has a straightaway where 4th gear is needed to clear it and the first time I tried it I crashed (I was up in 2secs and back on the bike).

It's really hard to give a general census of what gear you should be in. It really depends on the track and what your comfortable with.