Sign in to follow this  

W T F!! why can't i change a tube without tearing the new one!!!

So my third tube change and surprise surprise I've nipped this one too!!

Whats the deal? is there some sort of trick? I can't imagine having to do it on the trails-i'd be shafted!

It's easy to pinch them. Are you filling the tube with a little air once it's in the tire? That'll help get it out of the way. Also, I've found using actual tire irons makes a huge difference if you're not.

I used to always pinch tubes..... it sucked going thru the effort for nothing

When a old time vet racer showed what I was doing wrong I haven't pinched one tube since

Lets see if my explanation makes sense....

when trying to spoon/pry the tire over the rim never go past 90degrees (that's how it pinches)

I use a tire wedge on the far side of the rim and work with two or three irons only 2-3 inches apart from each other.... when the iron are up at 90degrees use your knee and push the tire down past the rim

then move first iron past the third and the second past the fist and push down with knee..... repeat, repeat, repeat

I also use wd40 to lube the rim and a tad bit of air in the tube....good luck

I found its cheaper for me to take them to a shop and let them deal with the headache/possibly pinching a tube rather than me pinch a tube and have to spend another 10-15 bucks on a tube.

Costs me 10 dollars a rim to get the tire/tube mounted.

I used to pinch tubes too. I seem to be better now. I use tire spoons and lube the bead with sunlight dish soap and put a little air in the tube. I changed one on the side of the trail in Baja and never pinched it, but I pinched three in my driveway at home two years earlier.

when trying to spoon/pry the tire over the rim never go past 90degrees (that's how it pinches)

I've done two tubes on my SM rims and didn't pinch either of them. I followed the above advice.

With the tire spoon under the bead, the other end of the spoon is pointed towards the center of the wheel. As you lift the spoon, don't lift it further than 90deg between the iron and the wheel.

You may have to hold the first spoon at 90 and start lifting with the second spoon further along the bead before the bead at the first spoon will drop into the wheel. If you have to go past 90deg to get the bead over the lip, stop and examine your technique because you are probably missing something. It is very tempting to pry past 90deg for that last little bit of the bead, but don't do it. An extra hand would be nice to push on the tire while your other hands hold the spoons.

It helps to work on tires that are warm. It's much harder to work with a tire at 50dF than 80dF.

I think the tyre spoons make all the difference.

I've tried all sorts from 6" spoons to 18" levers and finally settled on a set of 12" spoon ended levers. They are great and don't damage the tube.

Also technique counts, constantly check that the opposite side of the tyre is fully pushed into the rim grove. I find that towards the end of the job I have the press the tyre in once for each time I gain ground with the tyre levers.

That video there explains what most of everybody here is telling you, its a great video on changing tires.

:thumbsup:Also in the new tire put some babypowder there before the tube goes in,before the second side of the tire is fitted,air the tube up to lift the edge of tire,then lube the inner and outer edge of that bead,deflate and spoon that edge on,i never tighten up rim lock or valve nut till sets overnight to check for leaks,hope that helps ya.:smirk::smirk:

Coat the tube in baby powder as above. That will solve 90% of your problem. Also, make sure that the tire spoons have smooth edges and that the rim doesn't have a rough edge to it. Two tubes later I realized that the very tip of my main tire spoon had a vampire tooth on it! <doh> Dremeled it off and never had another issue.

As with the others, running a light dish detergent (brand doesn't matter) around the edge helps the tire slip over it easier and that also limits the amount of effort and energy needed. The less you have to lever, the less likely to pinch the tube.

Small increments using tire irons, I also put talcum powder on the tube.

well, all the above advice is greatly appreciated, i'll try these things and fingers crossed!

thanks guys.