Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Oil in air box?

I have done a smog removal and the Dave's mods plus put in a Uni-Filter. I have recently noticed some very clean oil in my air box, of course my engine is very clean right now too! I am wondering if at high speeds the vacuum created by the intake track could be pulling oil up from my crankcase breather tube or not? That is the only place I can see oil getting into my airbox from, any others had this issue or have any thoughts about what I have going on here? I have thought maybe I need to just put a filter on the crankcase breather and try that? Thanks...

Upon digging a bit deeper it appears that this is a semi common deal and not a big problem, the mist coming from the crankcase at high speeds! Still think maybe a filter is the way to go?

If you chucked the separator, the next best option (IMHO) is to place a small K&N on the end of the line (inside the airbox). If you leave the K&N outside the airbox, it will still make a nasty mess on the engine, shock, etc...

If you chucked the separator, the next best option (IMHO) is to place a small K&N on the end of the line (inside the airbox). If you leave the K&N outside the airbox, it will still make a nasty mess on the engine, shock, etc...

I wouldn't call it a "nasty mess". For the past three years I've been running a K & N filter on the end of a 1 ft long hose that's tucked up under the left rear part of the tank, and after a full season of riding it only has a small skim of oil around it that's easily taken off with one wipe of a paper towel. :smirk:

If you removed the oil separator, you could re-install it.

Dave

Dave's right, common mistake, Put oil sparator back on , its not a charcoal canister

I went with the K&N in the air box. Less bulky & less plumbing than the separator?

I know it's a longshot...but does anyone remember which K&N they used? I'm not real confident that my local auto shop is going to stock this sort of filter so I may need to order it online

So, does anyone know if the oil seperator on non-california models of the XL are different?

I know it's a longshot...but does anyone remember which K&N they used? I'm not real confident that my local auto shop is going to stock this sort of filter so I may need to order it online

My local Honda MC shop had one. Don't know part no.

My local Honda MC shop had one. Don't know part no.

ok I'll check out a couple cycle shops and see what comes up - I have had the oil in the airbox too, usually after a change where I'm a little close to the high level I suppose - and while it's relatively minor it would be nice to have less mess in there while not opting to put the separator back on the bike

So, does anyone know if the oil seperator on non-california models of the XL are different?

Not that I've been able to discern.

Dave

ok I'll check out a couple cycle shops and see what comes up - I have had the oil in the airbox too, usually after a change where I'm a little close to the high level I suppose - and while it's relatively minor it would be nice to have less mess in there while not opting to put the separator back on the bike

The Cycle Gear down the street has them on the shelf. They are pretty common.