Sign in to follow this  

Clutch cable question

Hi folks -

Newbie rider after a 15 year hiatus -

I put in a long day on the bike on Saturday (DirtWise school - wow!). One of my major fatigues was the clutch work. I have a 2001 XR4 - all stock. Its safe to assume that this is the original cable - but the bike has very low hours.

My clutch lever is much harder to pull (especially since I was trying to work on 1 and 2 finger use) than it probably should be. Im a little afraid to mess with the barrel adjusters because I dont want to make it worse and be unable to correct afterwards.

What is the best way to get this bike to have that easy, race clutch feeling? I was so jealous when I felt the clutch on my friends KDX and a couple of the (many) KTMs!

adjustments? Lube? New cable? New lever / cable assembly?

sorry for the long post - Thanks for any input.

BM

BM

Assuming the cable is lubed properly and the adjustments are correct, the bulk of any fatigue is more than likely from a combination of three things:

1. Controls / Stabilizer - Go to ASV and check out their controls. The stock levers on the XR's leave much to be desired. Some of ASV's options include quick adjusts and the like to make adjusting on the fly much easier as the cable wears etc... A stabliizer may take away some of the fatigue you are experiencing by eliminating the work to keep the bars in check at speed etc...

2. Conditioning - If you've been away from the sport a while as you mentioned...You're hands are going to be tired until they get used to the work load again.

3. Ergonomics - Depending on your height, the bars / cockpit on that bike are very cramped to begin with. It's designed to accomidate a rider sitting down most of the time = trail bike. If you are over 5'6-5'8", that will even make matters worse when standing. The bars can be pushed forward with the simple addition of a BRP or other triple clamp, which really opens up the cokpit. BRP's option takes the bars 1" forward from stock positoin. If you're a taller rider, get risers / taller bars or a sub-mount. Once your hands are approaching the controls at a more natural angle and you make those adjustments, any additional fatigue you are experiencing is just part of the game. You'lll have to condition your hands, body to deal with it.

Hope this helps. Welcome back... :smirk:

http://asvinventions.com/

http://www.brpmoto.com/

After confirming the cable is in good shape, not kinked and routed properly, Buy an MSR Raptor lever and perch assembly and be done with it.

so - is it safe to assume that stock bars are 7/8" ? Also - do you think I should just go with the lever or change the cable also (since I'm adding the new lever)?

Thanks for the help!

BM

Yes, stock bars are 7/8".

I followed that link for the Righteous lever. They are calling it an easy pull lever but they don't reveal how it's accomplished. How does it change the leverage ratio over that of the stock setup.

you might as well go with a new cable for the 25 or so dollars. if you dont know the condition of the cable, start fresh.

you might as well go with a new cable for the 25 or so dollars. if you dont know the condition of the cable, start fresh.

is install difficult? I am a hamfist at best.

thx,

BM

Yes, stock bars are 7/8".

I followed that link for the Righteous lever. They are calling it an easy pull lever but they don't reveal how it's accomplished. How does it change the leverage ratio over that of the stock setup.

Everything i have read says they have featherlight pull

rsl.jpg

Not sure what your budget is but you can order a PE lined T2 clutch cable from motion pro also.

Replacing a clutch cable is very easy. 10min max

Everything i have read says they have featherlight pull

rsl.jpg

Not sure what your budget is but you can order a PE lined T2 clutch cable from motion pro also.

Replacing a clutch cable is very easy. 10min max

doesnt look like they make the T2 for the 2001 XR...

is install difficult? I am a hamfist at best.

thx,

BM

no but you will have to play around with the adjustment barrels to get it right. i give it a 1:banana: job at most.

doesnt look like they make the T2 for the 2001 XR...

They don't stock it but they do make them. They are one of the rare companies that make thier stuff in-house. If you need extra length (tall guy wanna raise the bars, etc) now would be the time... turn around is usally 4-7 days. Call or e-mail joe.

Joe Fratis

Motion Pro, Inc.

Ph 650-594-9600 Ex 110

Fx 650-594-9610

joe@motionpro.com

They don't stock it but they do make them. They are one of the rare companies that make thier stuff in-house. If you need extra length (tall guy wanna raise the bars, etc) now would be the time... turn around is usally 4-7 days. Call or e-mail joe.

Joe Fratis

Motion Pro, Inc.

Ph 650-594-9600 Ex 110

Fx 650-594-9610

joe@motionpro.com

Just ordered the cable - Joe is great! Do I need specific "cable lube" and a "cable lube tool"?

You also need lube, MP makes a nice cable luber.

08-0182.gif

I use a teflon dry lube.

Installing a new cable is the first thing to do to reduce clutch pull. The biggest reduction in clutch pull is to add an extension to the clutch arm, I added 3/4" to my XR clutch arm and got a 40% reduction in lever pull, now almost as low as my bike with the hydraulic clutch.

another thing that you can do before you install teh cable is let it soak in wd40 or liquid teflon over night in a small tupperware continer. the lube will work its way all through the cable and be ready to rock when you are.

They do feel top quality don't they? I have yet to install it on wifes crf... glad to hear it works as good as all the reviews say.