Sign in to follow this  

Basic mods for 97 DR 350

I just got the bike. It probably needs valve seals, since it's blowing oil. I think it's stock... Beyond fixing stuff that's wrong, can someone point me to a list of the basic mods for these bikes, kind of "no brainer" upgrades?

As I fix all the ratty stuff, I'd also like to make the insider upgrades - it's the cool thing to do!

For example, on an xr400 honda, you open the airbox, ditch the snorkel, put on a K&N, grind the internal welds on the headers, drill the exhaust can open a bit more, rejet, etc. You can get a nice improvement just by letting the bike breathe better.

On DR's, I'd love to hear what can be done right off to make the bike run and handle better.

Thanks!

Pretty much what ccman60 said. You can cut most of the top of the airbox like this:

DR350AirBoxMod1.JPG

Credit: http://www.kientech.com/AirBoxMod.htm

Most people go with a 140 main jet after the airbox mod, but I made a little more power with a 145 (w/ stock exhaust). You can also mod the stock muffler by making the outlet larger and gain a little power without a huge increase in volume.

http://www.kientech.com/stockexhaustmod.htm

Thanks, guys. These mods will all get done... after I make sure I know why I'm seeing so much oil out the exhaust. I'd like to get a base run on the bike to see what I'm getting from the mods, too.

Did you check your oil yet? The reason I ask is bought a 94 basket case a few years back that smoked like a chimney when I first started it. Turned out the petcock had gone bad and leaked a half gallon of gas into the crankcase. This eventually got blown into the airbox and subsequently burned in the motor. An easy fix that's worth looking into.

Here are some other mods:

- clutch basket mod

- remove the rear street fender (if yours is a street model)

- replace petcock with a raptor petcock

- bigger gas tank

- T vent valve

Did you check your oil yet? The reason I ask is bought a 94 basket case a few years back that smoked like a chimney when I first started it. Turned out the petcock had gone bad and leaked a half gallon of gas into the crankcase. This eventually got blown into the airbox and subsequently burned in the motor. An easy fix that's worth looking into.

Doesn't that mean something also wrong with your float? Shouldn't it have shut the fuel off even if the petcock leaked?

Doesn't that mean something also wrong with your float? Shouldn't it have shut the fuel off even if the petcock leaked?

Many new DR 250/350 owners don't know the proper procedure for checking the oil of a dry sump setup which usually leads to over filling the oil by a quart.... sometimes more, sometimes much more :smirk:

Actually it usually does mean that either the fuel valve is leaking or the float needs adjusted but my point is that these are both very easy repairs in comparison to a motor rebuild. In my case the bike had been sitting for years and I ended up adding a pumper carb and a pingle petcock as the fuel system was pretty thrashed.

Man, this is great advice. The PO has engraved on the petcock, "off" on the down position, and "on" on the fuel side, so maybe there was a problem.

Would you mind telling me the proper way to check oil? I don't have a manual yet.

Also, a friend mentioned a pcv valve being clogged. Does the DR use one? In a cursory inspection, I didn't see something like the one on my F150 :smirk:.

Also, ClakTap, what's the clutch basket mod, and the T vent mod? Sounds promising!

To properly check your oil, start the engine cold, let the engine idle for about three minutes, shut it down and wait one minute then unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, drop it back in the hole and just let it rest flush in the opening (don't screw it in)

Make sure the bike is standing up straight, not resting on the kick stand.

Clutch basket mod for sticky clutches, T vent mod for avoiding flooding your engine if you dump the bike.

Search for the mods over on the stickies on maximum suzuki - its all listed there.