03 Rm250 woods project first race impressions

So Sunday I finally got to test my 03 RM250 I rebuilt for woods racing at it's first race. I've had quite a few practise rides on it, and felt fast, but this was the true test.

My background is, used to race 2 strokes for years, many years ago. Been stuck in the 450 4 stroke thing for the last bunch of years racing. Decided it was time to give the 2 stroke a go again. Race in the Senior Expert class.

Well she rips, in every department :smirk:

Motor has so much torque on the bottom. This race was littered with huge hills. I could ride a gear high everywere, keeping it off the pipe when the traction wasn't there, and then letting her open right up as soon as traction allowed. I missed a shift at the start and was at the back of the pack going up the first big hill, and big hills in BC mean 5 min of on the gas climbing. I was able to find better traction than the 450's using the bottom end torque, and then had instant acceleration when putting it on the pipe. Not to mention being able to pick lines were the 450's just weren't agile enough to go. By the top of the first hill I was up to mid pack :smirk:

Handling is were this thing really shines. I could put the bike anywere I wanted at any time. I never felt like the bike was taking me for a ride. It was amazing the tight little lines on the side were I could put the bike. This is definately the nimblest bike I've ever owned.

So results. First race of the year is usually a throw away for me, I'm too out of shape, can never finnish. Well yesterdays race ending up being 3hrs, not the usual 2.5 because of a course marking screw up. Finnished, a respectable 6th in my stacked class.

Only downsides seem to be my SDG seat is a little hard and I've got some crazy ass monkey butt, and pillow top grips aren't so pillowy, got some big old blisters on my hand.

Biggest bummer was I put my GoPro on finally for a race. Was lots of action too, especially at the start, passes, me running into a bobbling 450.

Would have been great but somehow I f-ed up the modes and just managed to take a pic of myself at the start line, and then just wear the thing on my head for the next 3hrs :prof:

Well now you got to do it again from the start. No video. You have been working on that bike for a some time and it's nice to see the pay off at the end. Good ride.

Well now you got to do it again from the start. No video. You have been working on that bike for a some time and it's nice to see the pay off at the end. Good ride.

Thanks.

The big things that struck me about the bike was the ability to pass more aggressively with the nimbleness and the ability to control wheelspin more than the 450. I used my clutch less then if I had been on a 450.

The suspension could still probably use some work.....

Next race is in 2 weeks, I'll have the GoPro sorted by then :smirk:

I love my RM for enduro, i had a 07 WR450 at the same time as my 07 RM just like you have now, the WR was sold not long after buying the RM, it was like riding a tractor compared to a RM.

I did my first ever Hare Scramble a few weeks back on my 05 RM 250 and never once felt like the 450 were going faster or that I was lacking power.

These bikes are great. When you get some video let us know. I love watching riding vids.

Disclaimer: I was running the C class. Expert class results may vary...

I love my RM for enduro, i had a 07 WR450 at the same time as my 07 RM just like you have now, the WR was sold not long after buying the RM, it was like riding a tractor compared to a RM.

Truth is since I first got the RM last fall I think I've ridden the WR 3 times while I was waiting for new reeds this spring. today I took it for a spin up and down the street/ property just to give it a weekly start up and run. The steering felt so heavy it felt like someone had put 50lbs on the bars compared to the nimble RM.

It's plated though, not possible to do here anymore so it's retired to strictly dual sport type riding.

I figure the WR is like driving a big pickup were the RM is like driving a sports car.

Truth is since I first got the RM last fall I think I've ridden the WR 3 times while I was waiting for new reeds this spring. today I took it for a spin up and down the street/ property just to give it a weekly start up and run. The steering felt so heavy it felt like someone had put 50lbs on the bars compared to the nimble RM.

It's plated though, not possible to do here anymore so it's retired to strictly dual sport type riding.

I figure the WR is like driving a big pickup were the RM is like driving a sports car.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I feel about my DRZ and my RM. One is 320lbs and the other is 220lbs and you sure can feel the difference.

Its a bitch you cant get your RM road legal.