Sign in to follow this  

How to speed knee recovery?

So I came off a jump sideways and instinctively stuck my left leg out on the landing to keep upright. In doing so I jammed by knee straight up to my chest and it swelled up like a cantaloupe.

Went to doc next day for xrays which showed no breaks or splits in the bone. Doc explained there is likely soft tissue damage and scheduled an MRI which I had done last friday. I have an appointment on wed to review the results.

My question is what should I be doing in the mean-time to promote healing? Doc said ice first 48 hours for swelling then heat. I followed that advice but swelling came back and the knee dosnt feel as if its improved at all.

So I came off a jump sideways and instinctively stuck my left leg out on the landing to keep upright. In doing so I jammed by knee straight up to my chest and it swelled up like a cantaloupe.

Went to doc next day for xrays which showed no breaks or splits in the bone. Doc explained there is likely soft tissue damage and scheduled an MRI which I had done last friday. I have an appointment on wed to review the results.

My question is what should I be doing in the mean-time to promote healing? Doc said ice first 48 hours for swelling then heat. I followed that advice but swelling came back and the knee dosnt feel as if its improved at all.

Its only been a couple of days. Do the ice/heat thing. Keep it wrapped to keep the swelling under control. Knees and feet are always slow to heal.

Sounds like you'll be off the bike for a bit.

Yeah, and we have a big trip to Highlands Park in GA scheduled for this weekend. I was hoping to recover enough to at least ride the easier trails with my son. I'm hoping the doc will give me some decent news on Wed.

If you read my earlier posts, I did the same thing... and broke my tibial plateau, completely torn my ACL and damaged my miniscus. My guess is that the MRI will show you have similar soft tissue damage - which means no ridinng in your neaer future. RICE the knee and hope for the best.

Once you can get full ROM and weight bearing back, be sure to ride the stationary bike every day before surgery to pre-hab. This will dramatically help your post-surgery recovery.

If you read my earlier posts, I did the same thing... and broke my tibial plateau, completely torn my ACL and damaged my miniscus. My guess is that the MRI will show you have similar soft tissue damage - which means no ridinng in your neaer future. RICE the knee and hope for the best.

Once you can get full ROM and weight bearing back, be sure to ride the stationary bike every day before surgery to pre-hab. This will dramatically help your post-surgery recovery.

CRAP :smirk:

I just read thru your other post and realize now I may be out of commision (as far as riding goes) for a long time. I did get a call from my regular physian who provided the results of my MRI . . . Torn ACL and miniscus, cartilage damage and a fracture of some type. He was kind enough to have made me an appointment with an ortho for tomarrow morn. I'll post the prognosis.

Man, I'm gonna go nuts not being able to ride! its been a huge part of my life for years.

Thanks for the info.

:smirk:

Yes, it sucks. Depending on the fracture, the type of graft you use for the ACL and who your surgeon is, expect 8-9 months off the bike :-(

Saw doc this AM, complete ACL tear, torn miniscus etc . . . Doc says 6 to eight months using cadaver tissue. SUCKS!!!!

Also called Dr. Mark. Says start riding stationary bike and let him know when swelling and full range of motion returns and he will work me in for surgury in Texas. I'm still researching but from what I've read so far I'm leaning heavy towards a road trip.

Anyone else with Dr. Mark Success stories?

I did a ton of research for my ACLr. I'm sure Dr. Mark will tell you this also, but definately do not use a cadaver graft. As an MX'r, you're only real option is patellar tendon. If you can get to Dr. Mark, you should. I couldn't, but am pleased with my Dr. here in Phoenix (same side PT) and my recovery so far (it's been 2 weeks since surgery). ROM is 0-well over 130 (physio is today and I'll get my new #), and walking without brace or crutches since day 3-4. Knee feels weird, but no pain. Good luck!