Sign in to follow this  

The Mad Max Mod (with pics)

So lately Ive been thinking how nice it would be to have some better wind protection without looking like a wanna be cruiser. Searched the net for something bolt on that looks good but nothing very tasty...

Hmmm...

What do I have lying around the house? Maybe some Lexan that could bend up into something cool? Nope, how about this stock GSX-R 600 windscreen?

Yep....

So heres a step by step insctructional how to.

Step 1. Buy a stock windscreen for a 2009 GSX-R 600

Step 2. Paint the inside of the windscreen whatever color you fancy

Step 3. Bolt it to your bike

and then

Bam...

IMG_0539.jpg

And heres a few different angles for anyone thinking of drilling some holes in their bike.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

And to get an idea of how far back it comes.

IMG_0545.jpg

And finally cockpit view.

IMG_0540.jpg

After going for a good long ride with it today all I can say is wow, I dont know why I didnt do this sooner.

The wind blast on my upper body is drastically reduced, there is no buffeting at all, and it looks kinda badass.

Like it or hate it tell me what you think. :smirk:

btw. I see you also made a nice ramp for when you want to spend some nice time hanging out with the drz in front of tv :smirk:

Perfect, that's just what I've been looking for, I went to the LBS to see if they had anything from a wrecked bike that might line up, and you just found it!

Thanks!!

I really like it. I can honestly say that's the first windscreen on a DRZ that I actually like. And that's my number 1 complaint with riding the DRZ, no wind protection.

How much did it cost you?

Steve

Thanks guys... :smirk:

And Steve, I'm not sure how much the windscreen costs. I replaced the stock windscreen on my 09 GSXR 600 with a Puig double bubble a couple years ago so I just had it lying around.

nice work, I always hated the look of windscreens on DRZ's but yours looks pretty cool

It looks wicked, I love it. It looks really good in black, not so sure it would look so good on my yellow one. Nice find! :smirk:

looks like an OEM screen....awesome...if i wasnt changing my light i would be doing this

That looks great. altho from the title I was expecting a super charger.

do you think a double bubble would look as nice?? same bolt patern and all

Jean Pierre

I just bought a 09 SM too! I like the look, definately something im going to look into. Kinda looks like the queen off the movie Alien!! lol

It def looks good on a black bike. Looked up the part in the TT store. The OEM parts interface only goes to 2008. Not sure if it is the same as 09 but the 08 windscreen part number is 94611-37H00 and cost about $66 from TT.

It def looks good on a black bike. Looked up the part in the TT store. The OEM parts interface only goes to 2008. Not sure if it is the same as 09 but the 08 windscreen part number is 94611-37H00 and cost about $66 from TT.

Yep 08 and 09 are the same. :smirk: