Tire fitment on 88 XR600

I'm looking to get some new STREET LEGAL tires for my XR6 since I'm riding every day to work around 25 miles round trip and the knobbies are wearing out pretty fast!

Will the 5.10 X 18 and a 3.25 X 21 tires fit on my bike or will I need to go with the 4.60 X 18 and the 3.00 X 21?

Do you do any dirt riding with these tires? If no, dunlop GT501 Rear (130/80-18) and avon Venom X (90/90-21) is the hot ticket. IRC GP-110's are nice dual sport tires that are actually sticky. I don't like distanzias, they lose grip HARD. 5.10 should work, it's about the same as a 130.

Distanzias loose grip Hard huh. You must have had a defective set then since they stick really well and are a very well reviewed tire

Distanzias loose grip Hard huh. You must have had a defective set then since they stick really well and are a very well reviewed tire

They are really sticky, but they don't lose grip in a good way, they just give out. I don't like that, I want some more feedback (and more grip). Both the dunlop and the avon listed above are far stickier and give much better feedback. I want sportbike sticky tires on my XR, and the distanzias just aren't that.

I have the Kenda 5.10 x18 (272) and it fits fine on my 1990. Hooks up ok in the dirt but vague on the street. The front was a 3.00 x 21 but seemed too narrow plus it didn't corner well in the dirt (with the tight spaced knobs) so I changed it out. Maybe a 3.25 or even 3.50 Kenda would work better and there is room for those width.

I have the Kenda 5.10 x18 (272) and it fits fine on my 1990. Hooks up ok in the dirt but vague on the street. The front was a 3.00 x 21 but seemed too narrow plus it didn't corner well in the dirt (with the tight spaced knobs) so I changed it out. Maybe a 3.25 or even 3.50 Kenda would work better and there is room for those width.

That's GREAT info Thanks! I was looking at the Kenda 270's. A little more knobby than the 272's but still streetable. I've read air pressure is CRUCIAL with these and the similar Shinko 244's.

That's GREAT info Thanks! I was looking at the Kenda 270's. A little more knobby than the 272's but still streetable. I've read air pressure is CRUCIAL with these and the similar Shinko 244's.

You know, they are Kenda 270's. ? and you're right about proper tire pressure. Originally I set the 5.10 at 16 but eventually found out it works better (street-wise ) at around 25 PSI. The sidewalls are not as reinforced as an offroad tire so the higher pressure is needed to overcome the flex.