Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Red Bud 2011 - Trip ideas

Hey all,

Trying to convince my wife that we should go to Red Bud this year and I'm looking to sweeten the pot with some non riding/racing ideas for that area.

It will be just her and I. We like sightseeing, hiking and just general outdoors stuff. No camping though.

So.. whats cool to do in that area?

Any hotel recommendations?

Thanks

Bob

Lake michigans right thier , just a few miles away , with sand dunes. CHICAGO is right on the way here too. Just a thought.

If your planning on an extended week trip the Sleeping Bear Dunes area is awesome. Check out Frankfort, Glen Arbor and Leelanau. Closer to Red Bud the town of Grand Haven is very cool. Great beach and a fun small town! Saugatuck is a cool "art community". Lots to do along the Lake Michigan shoreline.

Lake michigans right thier , just a few miles away , with sand dunes. CHICAGO is right on the way here too. Just a thought.
If your planning on an extended week trip the Sleeping Bear Dunes area is awesome. Check out Frankfort, Glen Arbor and Leelanau. Closer to Red Bud the town of Grand Haven is very cool. Great beach and a fun small town! Saugatuck is a cool "art community". Lots to do along the Lake Michigan shoreline.

Thanks guys! Not bringing the bike, but I like the other suggestions. Been to Chicago a handful of times so its more of a fall back plan as of now.

Lots of stuff along the lake shore. Many state parks where you can walk through the dunes and/or just relax on the beach. A lot of places along the lake to get some dinner and just enjoy the scenery and sunset. There are even dinner cruises on the lake. If you got some dough to spend, you can treat your wife to some really nice activities sites around there. :smirk:

If you're going to Saugatuck, just keep in mind that if you are Hetero, you are the minority, be prepared to see some things that you wouldn't usually see, like a short man with a YMCA type mustache, wearing a net shirt, black belt with studs and little black leather short shorts waiting in line for ice cream. It's a cool little town with some really good resturants, but just know you won't be in Kansas anymore.

Now, if you go a little further North, Grand Haven is also a nice place to visit in the Summer with some pretty good eating.

a few years ago, my wife and I left the BUD, and drove up the coast, thru many lakeside towns. We stayed in Ludington, and the took the SS Badger(coal powered passenger/vehicle ferry) over to Manitowoc, WI, then drove down from there.

If you're going to Saugatuck, just keep in mind that if you are Hetero, you are the minority, be prepared to see some things that you wouldn't usually see, like a short man with a YMCA type mustache, wearing a net shirt, black belt with studs and little black leather short shorts waiting in line for ice cream. It's a cool little town with some really good resturants, but just know you won't be in Kansas anymore.

Now, if you go a little further North, Grand Haven is also a nice place to visit in the Summer with some pretty good eating.

:lol:

DONT walk away from the public section of oval beach either!! :lol: Big mistake I made on a date once, the images will haunt me for a long time. Also a quick way to make your girl wanna go home and never speak to you again as well.

You might see the same guy mentioned above, just minus the net shirt and short, shorts doing something like this - :prof: or this - :lol: or this - :smirk: or this if he has a friend with him (or not) - :smirk:

You've been warned.

:prof:

+1 Me and some freinds went to Saugatuck once and felt very out of place to say the least. Seeing several dudes making out on the beach made us leave in a hurry. :smirk:

South Haven has a nice beach and you can walk out on the pier for a great view of the sunset. Cant wait till July 2nd! :smirk:

Right on, guys! We'll probably just head up North alongside the lake. We'll probably skip Sausage-tuck though...

Right on, guys! We'll probably just head up North alongside the lake. We'll probably skip Sausage-tuck though...

That's probably a good idea, some things just can't be "unseen". :smirk:

some things just can't be "unseen". :smirk:

Quote of the year contender right there! LMAO!! Sums it up perfectly.

Now thats funny. :smirk: