Sign in to follow this  

used bike... not title advice please

Hey everyone. So I picked up a 2007 CRF250R couple days ago. It had not title but I received a notarized bill of sale. I picked up the bike in Massachusetts, I live in Connecticut. Before people start drilling me about not getting a bike without a title, let me just say that I never bought a used dirt bike before I had two brand new bikes in my life time and that's it. So I guess I can say this is the only bike without a title I will ever own because of how complicated sh*t can get. I ran the vin number before buying it and it came back clean with no stolen/salvaged claims on it. My question is that I want to get a duplicate title for the bike so I can have ownership to it and be able to register it for a legal riding area. Do I fill out a form from CT for lost titles or do I fill out a form from MA? Is there anything else you guys think I should know about this situation? Thank You!

Cross post this on NEDIRTBIKES.com That forum is full of Mass and CT riders

Edited by skisnh

hopefully it does not have a lien on it, lol never buy a bike that you cannot verify the title status while buying it

It just depends on what your state requires. Check your local DMV/agency and see what it takes to apply for a lost title.

Yeah I know lol In the back of my head I knew when there was no title I should have backed away but sh*t happens, kind of wasn't thinking about that. But from now on I will make sure the person I buy from has a title otherwise I will walk away that second not matter how nice the bike is. I have to admit though that the bike I got runs like a champ. I had a friend who knows a lot check it out before I bought it, then had my cousin check it out when the bike was home. I still don't know how I should go about getting a title.

If you want to register the bike in CT for offroad only you do not need a title just a bill of sale.I register a few dirt bikes for riding at Thomaston Dam.I go to the DMV and get a blank bill of sale form and do it myself with a fake seller name and lower price than I paid and get an offroad plate no problem

MA dose not title dirt bikes

Mass has registered and titled plenty of dirt bikes :smirk:

* I have no clue what Mass. law is, just stating what I've experienced in Florida with a somewhat similar situation.

Was the bike ever titled?

If not, I know in Florida, they want you(really the original owner) to pay taxes for the original price of the bike to get the title for the bike. Then once that happens then the original owner can transfer the title to you.

Just going on what the people at the court house have told this past week.

good luck

In NM, paid $350 at the DMV, got a title 2 months later. Original owner didnt want to pay taxes on it, so never registered it.

Mass has registered and titled plenty of dirt bikes :smirk:

they do not have titles only certificates of origin when new and bills of sale

you can register them all day long .. i called my kawi dealer about this the other day

you can register them all day long .. i called my kawi dealer about this the other day

I wont say how on an open forum but it can be done :smirk:

All bikes come with a MSO. It is up to the owner to get a title. When a title is issued, that is usually when th sales tax is paid. Because most have no (well they think they don't) need for a title because they do not plan to ride it on the road, they do not get it and skip on paying the tax.

Any motor vehicle that has a MSO can be titled (and always should be).

Any motor vehicle that is to be registered usually has to have a title.

Any motor vehicle that is not titled does not have 100% binding proof of ownership. A note from some guy you met at Wendys on toilet paper is not proof of legal ownership.

To the OP, contact the state police in CT, give them the VIN, ask them what you have to do to get a title for an 'abandoned bike'. It is abandoned because the ownership trail cannot be verified though a title search. Explain everything to them. Be 110% honest.

So with this said it wouldn't be a problem registering a bike without the title just a bill of sale? Want to buy a bike im eyeing but like in the OP there isn't a title.