Couple General Wheel Questions

I'm looking at getting a new tire and wheel package for my '07 Tundra, but

not sure what route to take.

I was thinking about getting a set of used 20" Tundra rims off a Limited,

painting them black, and mounting them on 305/55/20 tires.

What's the best way to turn these OEM rims black? I've heard powder

coating....what does that usually cost?

Or

I was thinking of getting a tire and wheel package from an aftermarket wheel

company like KMC.

Another question I have is how an aftermarket wheel stands up to a stock

Toyota wheel? I'm assuming the OEM wheels are aluminum. Are the

aftermarket wheels heavy steel?

Any help is appreciated.

Nick

Go on craigslist and get new or almost new OE Tundra take offs. The 20" wheels will have the same overall circumference as your 17" wheels, just thiner sidewall (aspect ratio) and are very durable and handling will still be good. Powder coating them is a good idea. If you get aftermarket, you toss out lots of engineering. Look up things like scrub radius. If you where to draw a line through your upper and lower ball joints, it shoild bisect the roads surface dead center on your tire. If not, you are going to create more wear and tracking issues going down the road. Of ocurse, this depends on how far you deviate. If you go to a overall taller tire, wheel must move outward to keep your scrub radius correct, but then you move all the bearing load to the outside instead of the same on both sides not to mention the tires will want to alway pull outward loading things like tie rod ends. I know,e veryone does it. If you know the inner workings, it will make more sense whi its lke it is.

Go on craigslist and get new or almost new OE Tundra take offs. The 20" wheels will have the same overall circumference as your 17" wheels, just thiner sidewall (aspect ratio) and are very durable and handling will still be good. Powder coating them is a good idea. If you get aftermarket, you toss out lots of engineering. Look up things like scrub radius. If you where to draw a line through your upper and lower ball joints, it shoild bisect the roads surface dead center on your tire. If not, you are going to create more wear and tracking issues going down the road. Of ocurse, this depends on how far you deviate. If you go to a overall taller tire, wheel must move outward to keep your scrub radius correct, but then you move all the bearing load to the outside instead of the same on both sides not to mention the tires will want to alway pull outward loading things like tie rod ends. I know,e veryone does it. If you know the inner workings, it will make more sense whi its lke it is.

Wow...good info. Thanks!

So basically it wouldn't be a good idea to go with the OEM 20" limited Toyota

rims with 305/55/20 tires because that would make the scrub radius incorrect?

Maybe I should just go with aftermarket rims to get the correct off sets, etc...?

Wow...good info. Thanks!

So basically it wouldn't be a good idea to go with the OEM 20" limited Toyota

rims with 305/55/20 tires because that would make the scrub radius incorrect?

Maybe I should just go with aftermarket rims to get the correct off sets, etc...?

The 20" and 17" wheels are the same overall, so is offset. They do have an 18" wheel, part of the "Rock Warrior" Package.

Ok, a description of scrub radius, when you get done reading this, it will make so much sense.

Ok, take a piece of 8.5X11" sheet of paper, lay it on a formica counter top. Take a pencil with a nice eraser on it. Paper is going to represent tire contact patch (footprint on road) and the pencil will be your steering axis. Take the eraser end of the pencil stick it dead center on the paper and now slide the paper along the counter. Notice how the paper stays straight (this means your tire is staying straight) now move the eraser (still on left to right centerline) but now move it off to one side (left or right). This is your steering axis moved and now your scrub radius is moved. Now slide the paper down the counter, notice how it wants to shift sideway. This is exactly what your tire will do, ie pull outward/inward. This makes for more wear on tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm etc. And makes the vehicle wander more or follow ruts in the road. Of course, if the tires pull outward, you will have a toe out scenario which leads to rapid wear or feathering on the inside edges of the tires.

See, this is the problem with being a technician, I know enough about these things, I cant customize it as easily as others, I think much deeper if I do and I am always listening for unusual noised, eyes glues to gauges.... :smirk: