Sign in to follow this  

Leak from cylinder at powervalve

5727258619_f8bacbb07f.jpg

This, after a fresh rebuild from a reputable shop. They're a bit of a drive though, so if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to fix it myself instead of taking it back in. 2006 300xc

nothing of quality to add, however, I have experienced the same thing. A shop that came highly recommended (a 4h+ drive) did work for me this winter on a 2006 250xcw, and I have had nothing but troubles with the thing since. Clutch and forks.

I am fighting it out with them currently, have had about a total of 45 mins on the thing since I got it back, missing races, etc. Should of just bought a new bike but I wanted to get this one fixed to use a training bike next year when I buy a new one. Oh well.

5727258619_f8bacbb07f.jpg

This, after a fresh rebuild from a reputable shop. They're a bit of a drive though, so if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to fix it myself instead of taking it back in. 2006 300xc

Take that cover off. There is a "D" shaped rubber seal under there. Make sure the seal is seated and the cover is installed correctly. Also, make sure seal is in good shape.

Also the gasket for that cover, can be easily damaged during installation (it goes behind the powervalve actuating arm). If it wasn't replaced during the rebuild, try a new one.

Fortunately my local shop had all the parts necessary (see above), and this was a fairly painless fix that so far has solved the problem.

The old seals appeared to have been installed correctly - but for whatever reason just weren't sealing. It's a weird spot, as the D shaped seal (#37 above) overlaps with the inner clutch cover gasket.

I'm not quite as pissed at the guy who did the rebuild now that I've seen it was installed correctly (sort-of correctly I guess, since the parts were there but not sealing).

This serves as another reminder to me to do my own work.