Sign in to follow this  

clutch basket issue?

i just replaced my stock clutch basket with a barnett with stainless inserts. when i fire up the bike, the motor sounds a bit different. I took the clutch cover back off after about a 4 hr ride, and the tranny oil is very dark, and has small aluminum flecks in it. Also when i grab the basket i can wiggle it around a bit, is this normal, and should i do another oil change in case the flecks of aluminum are just left over from the stock basket getting really groved, or should i be lookin as to why the clutch basket can move a bit

i just replaced my stock clutch basket with a barnett with stainless inserts. when i fire up the bike, the motor sounds a bit different. I took the clutch cover back off after about a 4 hr ride, and the tranny oil is very dark, and has small aluminum flecks in it. Also when i grab the basket i can wiggle it around a bit, is this normal, and should i do another oil change in case the flecks of aluminum are just left over from the stock basket getting really groved, or should i be lookin as to why the clutch basket can move a bit

When you say 'move', do you mean that if you grab the basket, it wiggles on the shaft it is bolted to?

yes exactly, like the needle bearings are not tight, just not sure if that is normal for a little bit of play

yes exactly, like the needle bearings are not tight, just not sure if that is normal for a little bit of play

There should be NO PLAY whatsoever.

Perhaps it was not seated all the way when you tighten the nut and set the lock washer?

Normally, whenever you change a 'bearing' surface, you change the bearings and collars at the same time.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-honda-crf450x/o/m2273#sch415084

the center hub is pressed into the barnett clutch basket, so all the bearing surfaces and bearings should remain the same, wouldnt they? i didnt have an issue with the old basked moving, just the new one. Is there a chance that the barnett is out of balance, and caused undue wear on the shaft and bearings?

the center hub is pressed into the barnett clutch basket, so all the bearing surfaces and bearings should remain the same, wouldnt they? i didnt have an issue with the old basked moving, just the new one. Is there a chance that the barnett is out of balance, and caused undue wear on the shaft and bearings?

Yeah, I understand. No, I doubt it's out of balance. Maybe you forgot a washer?