08 Suzuki RMZ450 shifts extremely rough

Hey Guys,

I have an 2008 Suzuki RMZ450 and absolutely love the bike. While riding Saturday at Pala my RMZ decided to stop shifting. As soon as I got home I drained the oil and there was zero metal flakes in the motor and the clutch plates look perfect. I ordered a service manual for the RMZ today and plan on pulling the motor Sunday.

What do you guys think happened? I really love this bike, but I am at a loss at where I need to start.

Did you inspect the oil filter and the oil screen on the ignition side. I think you are jumping the gun by tearing down the motor. I'm no mechanic but I would take it step by step. I will call my mechanic and see what he thinks. Is it stuck in gear, or will it not go into gear? Does it start right up, any noice, give us a little more about whats going on.

Did you inspect the oil filter and the oil screen on the ignition side. I think you are jumping the gun by tearing down the motor. I'm no mechanic but I would take it step by step. I will call my mechanic and see what he thinks. Is it stuck in gear, or will it not go into gear? Does it start right up, any noice, give us a little more about whats going on.

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the oil filter and that looked good however I haven't checked the screen yet. I will do that today. It's not stuck in gear it's just extremely difficult to shift into any gear. The bike starts and runs great. The shift lever itself is sloppy and I don't actually hear it click into each gear.

start with shift folks,check gears

Encase anyone was curious what my problem was here is a photo of what broke. According to the microfiche this is the "Gear Shift Cam Stopper". I ordered a new one from Motosport Outlet for $14.

GearShiftCamStopper.jpg

How does that happen?

I don't have the slightest clue. The part is heat treated so the only thing I can really think of is maybe the part was heat treated for too long which made it brittle. The worst part is Suzuki has this part on backorder without an ETA date!. I found someone on eBay that is selling the entire shift assembly for $44. It looks like I am going to have to buy that since I don't wanna wait for a part that doesn't have an ETA date.

I don't have the slightest clue. The part is heat treated so the only thing I can really think of is maybe the part was heat treated for too long which made it brittle. The worst part is Suzuki has this part on backorder without an ETA date!. I found someone on eBay that is selling the entire shift assembly for $44. It looks like I am going to have to buy that since I don't wanna wait for a part that doesn't have an ETA date.

Thanks for info. Something to look for if I have the same problem in future.