Adding Exhaust to 2011 450

The 2011 450 in stock form sounds sooooo bad (quiet). I'd like to add an exhaust in some form of fashion. So here are my questions:

Should I add just a muffler?

Should I add the complete exhaust? I mean, will adding the complete exhaust make that big of difference?

I had heard that Suzuki had to mess with the timing on the 11 because of trying to meet the sound requirements so, when I do add an exhaust am I going to have to mess with the mapping or timing?

Thanks.

Why would you want it louder? How exactly does noise make it run better or you ride faster?

keep it quiet, its a '11 450... imo it doesn't need an exhaust for any fashion statements.

I bought an aftermarket pipe for my 11 but bought a quiete one at 94dB, why kill the sport by making your bike louder??????????????????????????

I bought an aftermarket pipe for my 11 but bought a quiete one at 94dB, why kill the sport by making your bike louder??????????????????????????

Bonger what muffler did you get and how did it effect the bike. I put an FMF Q on my 2008 Honda and it mellowed it out, liked it a lot.

Guys, I was hoping for some insightful responses here. Not a bunch of questions to my questions about why I want to make my bike lounder. The root of the question centers around whether or not adding an exhaust system is really worth the money (performance wise AGAIN) or should I just add a muffler so that I can at least hear my bike on the starting line. Do any of you actually have a 2011 RMZ450 and if you do, do you actually race it? If you do, then you know what I mean. I was really hoping that someone would take the time to actually answer my questions. I asked them because I thought someone out here would have some insight on any modifications that would need to be made after adding a pipe AND whether adding a pipe really made a difference in the performance or not.

So, I know you guys are thinking "what a jerk" but I really just wanted some answers to my questions. Too much to ask?

I am running the Yoshimura RS-4 system, it is a bit louder at idle than stock but has a nicer sound to it. Its not loud but you can actually hear the bike due to the different tone. As for power, the Yoshimura RS-4 with the PIM-2, smoothened the power off the bottom and gave more up top.:smirk:

Im Jerk #1. I have an 11 and the power delivery is awesome. More that I need. After breakin I through the lean resistor in and I think it marginaly improved an already fabulous bike.

So, I know you guys are thinking "what a jerk" but I really just wanted some answers to my questions. Too much to ask?

Considering the amount of land and track closures not sure why you should be surprised for catching any flack over the "louder" comment.

Most people know where to hold the throttle on the line since hearing it in a pack of four strokes is not that feasible.

you can gain some more pull out of the motor with any pipe combo. I personally would do a full system rather than a slip on. proly have some gains on the low-to-mid but should really notice it not signing off so early. as far as noise is concerned, most new systems are coming in at 96ish or so. unless your a pro rider riding pro level races I wouldnt worry bout sound all that much. good luck

oh and once you get a pipe combo, you might wana consider geting your ecm ramapped as well

Thanks for the GOOD replies. Appreciate the info.

Are you talking about the little modules that you can plug in behind the number plate? How many did your bike come with? Mine only came with the grey (richer) one.

Bonger what muffler did you get and how did it effect the bike. I put an FMF Q on my 2008 Honda and it mellowed it out, liked it a lot.

Hi Mike,

I went for a Leo vince full system (stainless steel). i have had two of these pipes before one on my 02/03 CRF450 and on on my 05/07RMZ450 and the quality is second to none, the pipes i had in the past were full Ti which were great but i replaced the can skin twice as i am an expert crasher so this time i have opted for stainless which is a bit heavier but so am i now. With regards to performance i have not put it on the bike yet but will for my next ride and will give some feedback when i do. :smirk:

Are you talking about the little modules that you can plug in behind the number plate? How many did your bike come with? Mine only came with the grey (richer) one.

Mine (yes i do have one (see my garage) which i race regularly as with all of my bikes over the last 25 years) came with two extra plug ins, one rich for sloppy slow conditions and one lean for dry fast going with the standard one fitted on the bike. i was considering wiring all three into a switch for hare scrambles where the going can be changeable here in the U.K. but was told that the engine may need to be stopped to switch maps.

With regard to the noise thing, can you not feel that the bike is running when you rev it.

Yea u can do that or just take off the ECM and send it out to a tuner.. I sent mine to KennyG Performance and he mapped it to my Yosh pipe, the style of your riding, type of fuel,, etc..

the only reason i replaced my muffler was because the welds broke so i replaced with a yoshi slip on.. and it is sure as hell louder then it was, annoyingly louder.

Edited by AJMAG247
Hi Mike,

I went for a Leo vince full system (stainless steel). i have had two of these pipes before one on my 02/03 CRF450 and on on my 05/07RMZ450 and the quality is second to none, the pipes i had in the past were full Ti which were great but i replaced the can skin twice as i am an expert crasher so this time i have opted for stainless which is a bit heavier but so am i now. With regards to performance i have not put it on the bike yet but will for my next ride and will give some feedback when i do. :smirk:

Full report please, including the sound level.

Mike

Full report please, including the sound level.

Mike

Did not ride at the weekend but i should be out on Wednesday night, if not we have a bank holiday this weekend and will be out for sure so stay posted.

the only reason i replaced my muffler was because the welds broke so i replaced with a yoshi slip on.. and it is sure as hell louder then it was, annoyingly louder.

just rode with it this weekend and HOLY bottom end :smirk: kicked my ass all day. the yosh slip on is def recommended