woods bike w a plate

250 four stroke or 300 two stroke?

Mainly will be used to putt along with the kiddies on trail rides..

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2382314706.html

Or

Xr400?

I'm sure I would prefer the hit of the 300, but would it be ok at slow rides?

Putting along with kids, I would think something like the 300 would be major overkill. I would also think it would be tough to get a plate for one. For "slow rides" with a plate, you could probably get away with a KLX250 or even a WR250R. For something a bit racier but plated from the showroom floor, take a look at the Husky TE250 and TE310.

What are your kids riding?

If they are small get somthing like a TTR125 so you are closer to their riding level and someday (not to far off) they will ride it

IMO it sucks riding with kids when your on a big bike.

You are sort of all over the place with your own suggestions. I just bought a 2007 KTM 300 XC...it is a very fast, punchy bike..bordering on MX performance, nothing like a XR400, which is about as mild mannered as you can get. I would think for following kids, a WR250 or XR400 would work great.

I think something like a KDX would work well. Easy to ride but will have some power if you start riding faster.

kid chasing on my XR400 sucked bad, starting those things is too much work, mine was a one kick bike, but it was still too much work

I would rather chase on a 300 exc or xc-w or any bike with a button

Plus kids like to go slow with a 4 stroke= overheating. With a 2 stroke you can putt along with them all day.

kid chasing on my XR400 sucked bad, starting those things is too much work, mine was a one kick bike, but it was still too much work

I would rather chase on a 300 exc or xc-w or any bike with a button

I agree with MegaDeTH, Get a bike with a button. I did it with a KTM 300 and just kicking it (usually 1 Kick to start), having to stop and help them up or over stuff is still a long day when the kids are just learning and putting. Get a Honda 250X or WR 250 if you are also just beginning, Great bikes, easy power, lots of hop-up options when you want to turn them lose. Or if you are experienced a KTM 250 or 300 with the button will be great.

These 2-stroke and putt around or rip easily.