woods bike w a plate

Putting along with kids, I would think something like the 300 would be major overkill. I would also think it would be tough to get a plate for one. For "slow rides" with a plate, you could probably get away with a KLX250 or even a WR250R. For something a bit racier but plated from the showroom floor, take a look at the Husky TE250 and TE310.

What are your kids riding?

If they are small get somthing like a TTR125 so you are closer to their riding level and someday (not to far off) they will ride it

IMO it sucks riding with kids when your on a big bike.

You are sort of all over the place with your own suggestions. I just bought a 2007 KTM 300 XC...it is a very fast, punchy bike..bordering on MX performance, nothing like a XR400, which is about as mild mannered as you can get. I would think for following kids, a WR250 or XR400 would work great.

kid chasing on my XR400 sucked bad, starting those things is too much work, mine was a one kick bike, but it was still too much work

I would rather chase on a 300 exc or xc-w or any bike with a button

kid chasing on my XR400 sucked bad, starting those things is too much work, mine was a one kick bike, but it was still too much work

I would rather chase on a 300 exc or xc-w or any bike with a button

I agree with MegaDeTH, Get a bike with a button. I did it with a KTM 300 and just kicking it (usually 1 Kick to start), having to stop and help them up or over stuff is still a long day when the kids are just learning and putting. Get a Honda 250X or WR 250 if you are also just beginning, Great bikes, easy power, lots of hop-up options when you want to turn them lose. Or if you are experienced a KTM 250 or 300 with the button will be great.

These 2-stroke and putt around or rip easily.