led blinker flash rate

if you install resistors which create the same load as the bulbs did the flash rate will be as stock. As a way of indicating if there is a bulb out the flash rate changes if the resistance(load) changes.

Instead of completely modifying the safety interlock relay you can remove the 2 wires that are for the blinker part from the holder and connect a relay designed for LEDs to them, leaving the rest of the relay working as usual. It is really 2 parts in one box.

turn signal drawing1.jpg

will installing resistors cure the fast flash rate or do you always have to do sidestand relay modification?

By far the easiest way is to buy one of these:

http://www.lights4all.com/ACCESSORY/INDICATOR-RELAYS:::46_48.html?XTCsid=724a395dec807cfd45939ff2b837738f

That way you dont need to worry if you have a combination of LED indicators or normal ones.

Remove old relay, replace with new. Problem sorted. That is what I did and it sorted my flasher problem (well I still go out and flash old ladies but that is another issue) plus this company has great customer service and quick postage. German efficiency at its best.

if you install resistors which create the same load as the bulbs did the flash rate will be as stock. As a way of indicating if there is a bulb out the flash rate changes if the resistance(load) changes.

Instead of completely modifying the safety interlock relay you can remove the 2 wires that are for the blinker part from the holder and connect a relay designed for LEDs to them, leaving the rest of the relay working as usual. It is really 2 parts in one box.

yes,the 2 wires that you need to back out of the stock female relay connector are the orange and light blue ones.connect the led relay to these two wires via a small 2-wire harness.fastened it to the headlight bracket with a wire tie.this is what i did many years ago and it has always worked excellent.probably a good idea to use dielectric grease on all the connections to guard against corrosion.

sorry if I'm missing the answer but all i want to know is this.

If i cut in a resistor in each indi will it flash at correct rate?

Thanks

Doesn't matter where you add the resistor(s), so behind the headlight for example might be easiest. You add them in parallel with the leds. This means power goes through both the leds AND the resistor, not through-the-resistor-then-through-the-led.

Another way of saying it is where the wire comes out of the turn switch it has to have the correct load to work right. (2 bulbs) OR (2 led + resistors) OR (1led + resistor + 1 bulb). They could all connected right there behind the headlight, but obviously no one can see them so the wires get extended to the corners of the bike where they are visible. For the stock blinker to have the desired flash rate the resistance (load) must match what 2 bulbs is. In my drawing above the rectangles are resistors.

Doesn't matter where you add the resistor(s), so behind the headlight for example might be easiest. You add them in parallel with the leds. This means power goes through both the leds AND the resistor, not through-the-resistor-then-through-the-led.

Another way of saying it is where the wire comes out of the turn switch it has to have the correct load to work right. (2 bulbs) OR (2 led + resistors) OR (1led + resistor + 1 bulb). They could all connected right there behind the headlight, but obviously no one can see them so the wires get extended to the corners of the bike where they are visible. For the stock blinker to have the desired flash rate the resistance (load) must match what 2 bulbs is. In my drawing above the rectangles are resistors.

So, if I'm leaving the font stock indis even a resistor wont solve the problem on my rear LED's or should it not be too bad as it has the load from the stock front indis in the circuit?

So, if I'm leaving the font stock indis even a resistor wont solve the problem on my rear LED's or should it not be too bad as it has the load from the stock front indis in the circuit?

I forget what the resistance of 2 bulbs should be, sorry, but having 1 bulb will blink faster than 2, but slower than none.

Installing a resistor to replace the load of the rear bulbs will 'fix' it so it blinks same as stock. As far as loading the stock blinker the leds hardly exist.

It really doesn't matter how you get the load, you could stick a bulb under the seat instead of a resistor (or behind the headlight, or??). The load just has to be same as original for the blinker to blink at the 'correct' (stock) speed.

You could install 2 appropriate resistors and NO leds and the blinker would click at the stock rate even though you could not see light.

By far the easiest way is to buy one of these:

http://www.lights4all.com/ACCESSORY/INDICATOR-RELAYS:::46_48.html?XTCsid=724a395dec807cfd45939ff2b837738f

That way you dont need to worry if you have a combination of LED indicators or normal ones.

Remove old relay, replace with new. Problem sorted. That is what I did and it sorted my flasher problem (well I still go out and flash old ladies but that is another issue) plus this company has great customer service and quick postage. German efficiency at its best.

I did the same thing. Think I actually bought it from that websites ebay store.

Took 2 seconds to swap it out. Works a treat.

I preffered that over resistors or independent flashers hang about behind the headlight. Nice, clean, simple solution to the problem.

I wanted to avoid resisters as well, as they can get pretty hot from taking all the extra load. And with all the plastic and wires about the last thing I wanted to to have the resisters melting through everything. Even with the fancy heat sink type they melted into the undertray on my old 954 when I had LEDs.

I did the same thing. Think I actually bought it from that websites ebay store.

Took 2 seconds to swap it out. Works a treat.

I preffered that over resistors or independent flashers hang about behind the headlight. Nice, clean, simple solution to the problem.

I wanted to avoid resisters as well, as they can get pretty hot from taking all the extra load. And with all the plastic and wires about the last thing I wanted to to have the resisters melting through everything. Even with the fancy heat sink type they melted into the undertray on my old 954 when I had LEDs.

This really seems like the easy solution regardless of if you have 2 bulbs, 1led and 1 bulb, or 2 leds (or any other combination of handguard blinkers or whatever).

I forget what the resistance of 2 bulbs should be, sorry, but having 1 bulb will blink faster than 2, but slower than none.

Installing a resistor to replace the load of the rear bulbs will 'fix' it so it blinks same as stock. As far as loading the stock blinker the leds hardly exist.

It really doesn't matter how you get the load, you could stick a bulb under the seat instead of a resistor (or behind the headlight, or??). The load just has to be same as original for the blinker to blink at the 'correct' (stock) speed.

You could install 2 appropriate resistors and NO leds and the blinker would click at the stock rate even though you could not see light.

Thanks for clearing that up mate. I'm getting fork seals done on monday and next friday I'll be doing LED tail light and LED blinker.....let see how it goes, with me nothing ever goes to plan:bonk: