Sign in to follow this  

Can't believe this happened, is my shock screwed ?

First off thank you for your time in answering my question.....

I took out the rear shock to change the seals. I accidentally dropped the shock and chipped a piece that holds in the needles......

I attached a picture for reference.

Now this piece that holds in the needles are part of the shock....... it isn't part of the bearing.

Basically, the needles can't go side to side or overlap each other but some of them can go back and forth......

The bearing #4 and #5, holds down the needles so they don't move. However because of the chipped part, some of the needles can go forward and backwards.

All this does it open up some extra space.....

It sucks this happened and I would buy a new part to replace however............... if this is a problem I would need to buy an entire new rear shock as this is part of the rear shock....

The seals are new, the bearings are holding down the needles so I'm praying it wont be a big deal.

Thank you.

Here is a video of it

trouble.jpg

Edited by danny86

It looks like the piece is replaceable. it looks like you broke the retainer. If you can order parts 3,4,5 and 6(x2) and press the old bearing and retainers out and install the new ones

looks like its just the bearing race cracked. order a new bearing, press this one out and press the new one in.

It looks like the piece is replaceable. it looks like you broke the retainer. If you can order parts 3,4,5 and 6(x2) and press the old bearing and retainers out and install the new ones

I agree looks like a replacable piece not the shock body

Thanks guys.

Am I OK to ride with until the parts come in ?

I just replaced the new seals.... I should order new ones again ?

Thanks.

Well the worst thing that can happen is all of the needles will fall out and the bolt will waddle around in the hole and the bearing hole will get elongated and a new bearing won't stay in and you'll have to replace the whole shock. If it was my bike and desperately need it to ride before new parts came in I am sure there is a way to rig it for a ride. Look into what aftermarket companies have to see if the parts can come quicker. You might be able to get something from a local shop or even next day air from online

I just ordered a whole new bearing, needle, oil seals for the top.

So #3 will have the housing that I chipped out ?

Yeah dude, the needles are part of a "needle bearing" they are encased so what you broke was the retainer for the needles.. press the broken retainer out. The new bearing you get will include an entire new casement and needles. Not a big deal..

Can I still ride? The bearing holds down the needles so I can't fathom them going anywhere.

Thanks.

I guess you did not understand the link that william1 gave you or what Swede73 wrote 4-5 reply back, in simple English NO unless you want to screw your shock for good and come back here and ask why the top hole in your shock is now elongated and the bearing you are trying to press in will not stay in place or the top of the shock broke off because the bolt was loose in the hole.

NO! you need the old retainer pressed out and a new one with new needles pressed back in. The part in question is a highly stressed part and if it's broken you're asking for trouble possible destruction of the shock body and or breaking of the bolt ect resulting in you crashing with injury or death! do not mess around fix it right! you have been warned!