Sign in to follow this  

Hardwire GPS

I'm hardwiring my garmin GPS60 with the garmin cable. My questions are:

Should I connect to a power source in the headlight area or go direct to the battery? If the headlight, which wire is hot and where best to ground? Anything I'm overlooking? Thanks. See you out there. A few pics:

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

Make sure you put some sort of teather from the gps to the bars. Mine came out of my RAM mount on a ride.

Where did you grt thst harness? I need to get one.

I pulled the gas tank and seat and ran the wire direct to the battery (with a 1.5a fuse). Constant power that way. Works great.

Behind the headlight the red is constant power and orange is switched by the key. The small draw from the GPS should be fine connected there. Ground to any black-with-white-tracer wire.

A small fuse for the GPS is a good idea.

wiring diagram drz400s-sm.05on.jpg

Does your GPS run on 12 volts? I saw no reference to voltage in the cable listing. Mine requires stepping down to 5 volts I believe.

Cuchara I was worried about that...Fortunately, the GPS60 from Garmin has a built in regulator that will accept input voltage in a pretty wide range. I wired up to the red ignition wire in the headlight today and soldered and shrink tubed everything. All systems are go for the weekend. See you guys out there.

Does your GPS run on 12 volts? I saw no reference to voltage in the cable listing. Mine requires stepping down to 5 volts I believe.

Another reason the GPSMAP 60/76 series is so popular - it runs on something like 5v-24v.

I am going to be wiring mine in over the weekend and I was thinking of running it through the key so that I wouldn't have to unplug it. Any thoughts on this? Im on an '11 530exc