Sign in to follow this  

How to limit front wheel lifting out of corners

What are the normal tuning adjustments made to a shock to stop the front wheel lifting when getting on the gas hard out of corners?

Seems the back squats a little too much and gets too much traction rather than staying up in the stroke and steering a bit more with the throttle which is what i want if that makes sense :smirk: This is a TTX shock on a Kato EXC.

Are you cornering correctly? IE: Break first before the corner then rolling on the gas as you go around the corner

actually I had same problem on my Ktm I needed a stiffer rear spring it helped alot . I went from the straight rate to a pds 6

IMHO besides the stiffer spring, which might be needed (depending on sag numbers) I would try few more clicks on CSC-it will reduce the free bleed and will reduce the rear dive. You may need to adjust the COMP/REB clickers after you like your new CSC setting

A bit more preload on the rear spring. Just a few MM.

Will give that a try.

I would think this is more rider technique than suspension tuning.

Technique is ok, can see what's going on in a couple of photo's taken of me/bike in race on the weekend. Can always improve technique though... I'd rather blame it on bike setup :smirk:

IMHO besides the stiffer spring, which might be needed (depending on sag numbers) I would try few more clicks on CSC-it will reduce the free bleed and will reduce the rear dive. You may need to adjust the COMP/REB clickers after you like your new CSC setting

Thanks, will give that a try too. Sag numbers are 115 rider, 40 static, 6-7mm pre-load. Would like 110mm rider but last tuner i saw was pretty addiment no more than 6mm pre-load on the spring...

It sounds like you're on top of your riding technique. You just need to get that rear to squat less. Your tuner surely didn't say you have to run the same sag in all conditions? Why don't you try 110 mm and see what happens. In the worst you won't like it and then it would be a good time to talk to your tuner about clickers and valving.

i would not alter that spring
It sounds like you're on top of your riding technique. You just need to get that rear to squat less. Your tuner surely didn't say you have to run the same sag in all conditions? Why don't you try 110 mm and see what happens. In the worst you won't like it and then it would be a good time to talk to your tuner about clickers and valving.

Yes the spring is close, but i liked running closer to 110mm sag with the WP shock. If i wind the TTX spring down to 110mm, the pre-load on the spring is too much according to the manual, seems pre-load is the more critical measurement according to some people/tuners? The manual list the 75 spring i have as being the correct one for my weight.

Might try going in a few clicks on the CSC aswell and see how that goes.

And my other thought was sag is more for bike balance, whereas clicker changes are going to help stop what im trying to stop??

Edited by yamaha227

I ran my KTM at 118mm sag with no problems. Maybe the fork preload can be looser to enable the bike to settle down in the front a bit more keeping the weight bias more forward. As for only 6mm preload on the spring, that doesnt sound like much. I like at least that and then increase from there. I am not a suspension tuner so maybe he knows something I dont. Maybe you misunderstood what he told you. I would call him and ask and tell him what is happening.

Yeah may end up giving him a call, but will try these other tweaks first. Front is pretty good and settles nice in the corners, just the back doesnt seem to hold up enough in the stroke as much as i would like when getting on the gas out of corners.

I liked the HSC adjuster on the WP shock, as it allowed some fine tuning of this area, hoping some tweaks to the CSC or comp adjuster will give me a similar result.

try a few clicks in on the rebound adjuster, this will slow the overall chassis roll from letting the shock compress right when you get back on the gas.

Seems the back ... gets too much traction rather than staying up in the stroke ...

Why do you think this is happening to begin with, sag has nothing to do with it?

Why do you think this is happening to begin with, sag has nothing to do with it?

I guess too much traction is not the best way to describe it, as traction is good, but what im trying to get at is sometimes when i want to steer with the back wheel (throttle) the back end squats a little too much and the bike is more inclined to wheel stand than hold up a bit more in the stroke and drift.

Its not a great deal, just something ive noticed and want to tune out.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought. You have a hard time getting controllable wheelspin. Still, the tuning I would do starts with an educated guess: too much weight on the rear (e.g. too much sag) resulting in too much rear traction. The more throttle you grab the more the rear squats because of that extra traction instead of converting some of that energy to wheelspin. This gives you even more traction followed by more squat and so on. Your clickers could have a part in it but you should get the sag right first.