Sign in to follow this  

Affordable used bikes

hey everyone, this is my first post so if i mess somethin up dont be too short with me. Anyways every since i was little i have had posters of motorcycles and racers on my wall. However, my father i guess thought that if he spent that amount of money then it would just be a phase and go away. it woulda been fine if he was right but the problem i have always had was that the urge to get a dirt bike never did go away. I always envied the kids whos dads bought them bikes and got them into racing because mine never did that. (which kind of surprises me considering my dad had motorcycles from 16 to like 36, streetbikes, dirtbikes, dual sports, you name it.)

Now before you guys read me off and say oh hes just a noob who doesnt know what he's doing. I have ridden before. I have ridden my cousins cr85 and my grandfathers yz125 (which is a beast) and had finally decided to buy one last summer. So i saved all my money for almost a year $750, and looked in all the local craigslist ads and papers. I finally found one, a used 2001 crf125 in good condition for $800.(the guy sent me pics) it was owned by an older gentleman who has bought it for his grandson and then his grandson only rode it once. so we had a meeting time and on the way there my dad for some unknown reason talked me out of it. Telling me i needed to save for a car, (which i already have $2600 for) so long story short i let it slip.

Now, im in the same boat as i was last year with slightly less money $45o but i can save much more in 2 or 3 months if i can get in some hours for my aunt and uncle. Anyways, i would really like to finally own a dirt bike and was wondering what to look for. I'm fairly tall 6,2 and skinny 140lbs. I'm not a total noob but would probably kill myself on anything bigger than a 230 4 stroke. I know i have to buy used because of my low budget and probably older than a year 2000. which is perfectly alright with me as long as it runs good. And honestly im almost 16 now so i'm too old to race competively with anyone but friends although i would really like to do some trials if given the oppurtunity. Anyways any suggestions of brands or cc's or anything like that could really help this newbie out! :smirk:

Nice to read that you are still inerested into getting a dirtbike and welcome to thumpertalk. I would say get a old xr250r they are reliable and can find a reasonable price on them bikes, also maybe a 125 2t?

A lot of people have a small budget and look for cheap bikes to buy because they can barely afford the actual bike and have absolutely NO idea how much money it costs with up-keep on a bike.

With such a small budget, buy a two stroke and learn how to man handle it. You will save yourself a lot of money. Go for a 125.

Given your height and some past riding experience with two strokes, I'd look for the same type of deal you passed up last year. A 125 two stroke. But, make a list of models that you might be interested in and shop for all of them and the best price/combination.

Getting one at $750 and below will takes lots of looking and lots of patience. Check Craigslist, check ThumperTalk, e-bay, advrider, or any other motorcycle enthusiast website. You might talk to anyone you know who has bikes....seems like the best way you might get that kind of a screaming good deal is from a friend or acquaintances thinking of selling but not actually having researched the market price or listed it yet (i.e. making the sale a real easy one for them that takes it off their hands).

... to help you start the shopping list:

CR125R

YZ125

KX125

RM125

KTM 125

KDX200

XR250

TTR225

TTR230

CRF230

admittedly the KTM 125 and the KDX200 are very unlikely to be close to your budget, but no reason not to at least look for the rare good deal.

....anyone else have other additions for his shopping list?

thanks to everyone who answered. i will continue to save my money and look for unpassable deal on craigslist and in the paper. i do need to also save some money for a car because i want a decent car so i will probably add it all up and buy a decent car and a decent bike

thanks to everyone who answered. i will continue to save my money and look for unpassable deal on craigslist and in the paper. i do need to also save some money for a car because i want a decent car so i will probably add it all up and buy a decent car and a decent bike

Compact truck:thumbsup:

Compact truck:thumbsup:

I'm with this guy! Get a small truck so you can haul your bike where you need to go.

yup, find yourself a 125. cheap to own, enough balls to last you a while.

Nothing worng with the 125's at all but if your riding trails the KDX 200's and the RMX 250's are super good bikes to start on. They are cheep and almost maintance free....

Edited by fender bender 59

Nothing worng with the 125's at all but if your riding trails the KDX 200's and the RMZ 250's are super good bikes to start on. They are cheep and almost maintance free....

A 125 would be a good compromise if he wants to do a little moto here and there too.

You sound like a good, smart, hard working young man. I wish I lived closer to you, I'd loan you my KLX260, just cuz I like ya, and I don't even know you.

Good luck buddy, I'm sure you'll do well.

Find a 125. I personally would find a 99 or newer YZ125. They are out there for around 1200 to 1400 and still in fair condition. Good Luck

know you could always do? buy a pit bike. i have a 125cc 4 stroke pit bike, and damn is that thing fun! there much cheaper then full sized bikes, and they have race tuned motors not little trail motors. sure there small, but there cheap, and extremely fun. thats just my input. like everyone else said though, search for a 125 2 banger if you want a full on bike

125 2t will be good for you. and your grandfathers 125 is faster than a 230 4 stroke. a 250 4 stroke MX bike is equal to a 125 2 stroke.

if you want a 2 stroke get a 125, or if you want a 4 stroke then 250.

By the way being 16 is not old. I didn't start riding until I was 28 and didn't do my first race until I was 32. Now I am 39 and faster than I have ever been. No I will never be paid for riding a dirt bike but at 16 you still could do it. Unfortunately what you need is a good bike and a lot of seat time if you wanted to race competitively. The good news is racing at a lower level is just more fun (IMO). I would bet people who aren't ever going to make it big, and know it, have more fun than those pushing to be at the top. Ryan Villapoto is grinning ear to ear but Ryan Dungy has had a horrible time this year. I have fun every time I race. When Villipoto didn't make the main he was crushed. When I get pushed off the track we have a beer and laugh about how some guy cleaned me out. Have fun this is the best sport and you are part of it.

a 250 4 stroke MX bike is equal to a 125 2 stroke.

QUOTE]

Not true....even though AMA paired them up that way.... Most all series are now running all 250's in the same class... and 125 / 200 in another... which is really not fair

If I were in your shoes, I would save some money and buy a "real" trail bike. While a 125 MX bike can be trail ridden, they are certainly not ideal. If you could save around $1300 to $1700, you may be able to pick up a clean KDX or XR, which are both low maintenance. As mentioned, patience is key.

You might try Fleabay for boots...I bought a pair of Fox boots worn one time (they looked brand new) for $60 or $70.

If I were in your shoes, I would save some money and buy a "real" trail bike. While a 125 MX bike can be trail ridden, they are certainly not ideal. If you could save around $1300 to $1700, you may be able to pick up a clean KDX or XR, which are both low maintenance. As mentioned, patience is key.

You might try Fleabay for boots...I bought a pair of Fox boots worn one time (they looked brand new) for $60 or $70.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Just for hell of it I looked up the blue book values on the bikes I'm interested in and found most people in my area are asking well over BB prices. I did find one DRZ but it has about 9000 miles on it. That seller is asking right at KBB value. (dealer price that is) Seems like if I see a decent bike for its blue book value its gone before I can get there. I'm starting to get burnt out on looking and just about ready to get butt raped and pay more than book.