XR400 tire recommendation

What front/rear tires do you recommend for Michigan trails? I do 100% trails/woods riding, no roads or pavement. Trails here are typically twisty woods, hard dirt, rocks, roots & soft sand. I was looking at a Sedona MX887IT or Kenda Washougal or Millville for the rear. Anyone use these tires? Not sure what to get up front. I just know I dont like the combo I have now. (came with the bike) Open for suggestions. Thanks...

I live in the coast range of Oregon which has a dirt, mud, rocks, and gravel roads. On my xr4 I use a Dunlop 745F for the front which holds up very well. Except the side knobs popping off from the bigger sharp rocks. I got around 1500 offroad miles on it. An IRC Vulcanduro VE-37 is a great tire for the rear. I put nearly a 1000 miles on that one with very few chunks off knobs. I just ordered new tires from Motorcycle Superstore that shipped for free and a lot of tires are on sale. I got a Dunlop 739FA for the front and a Michelin S12 XC for the rear. I know the front will last a while but not sure of the life of the S12, but it has great traction. Good Luck

I'm running again Michelin AC10 both front and rear, and they perform and last quite well - if you're not into racing of course. Some friends go to Romania for hard enduro weekends (think Romaniacs) a few times a year, and most of the time only the AC10 tires get back without any knob damages. And they are well priced, ~90 USD for a set here in Hungary.

DOT approved, but they can suprise you on wet asphalt ?

Pirelli Scorpion Pros (especially the front) for soft sand or wet stuff. Works great in dry conditions to. Average on real hard pack.

Pirelli MT16's do great on a little harder/dryer surface and last a long time.

Michilen S12's are also highly regarded for Michigan trails. Front is almost indentical to the Pirelli Scorpion Pro. Rear has taller knobs than the Pirelli and gets very good traction in soft stuff.

Kenda Trakmaster 2 (rear only, stay away from the front) is also a good budget friendly option for the rear. Use a Pirelli or S12 front with it.

All of the above are considered "soft terrain" tires. Just my 2 cents. ?

You might want to post this question in the Regional section.

My favorite combo has been the Pirelli MT18HD front and Kenda 760 Trackmaster II rear. Our here we have a lot of hard surfaces and rocks.

I have Kenda Millville tires on my XR400 now. I've never liked the tires, but they are for mid-soft conditions and we typically have harder conditions out here.

Pirelli XCMH front and MT43 trials rear is my next combo.

Dunlop D803 Trials tire

For sand? MI trails are 75-85% soft sandy soil. If it's not sandy soil and has been raining, its wet and sticky on the single tracks. I've seen only a few trials tire out there but not many and it's usually guys visiting the state to ride that have them.

nberge, you can post this in the North section if you want but there is about a 100 threads in there for the same question. Do a search there 1st, you'll see the Pirellis and Michilen tires mentioned the most. Also keep in mind "what tire" threads are about the same as "what oil". Your gonna get a lot of different answers.

Look at what the quick riders in your area are using. The patern, block size, side knobs and compound matter more than brand especially in the front. You have noticed that presure is more important than almost all the others combined I hope. Age of a tyre is also important, as it ages the rubber hardens and will lose grip dramaticly over the same tyre but manafactured a month ago. I had that problem on my bike, old Bridgestone, front washed out all the time spent a lot of time on the ground, new Bridgestone (only one I could get locally) plenty of grip. Get yourself some super thick tubes and lower the presure untill you have enough grip but don't bottom out on the rim. Rears are a matter of the more tread the better. For street use you need to be careful of DOT and see what tyres spit lugs, but offroad again see what the others are using, try that and when it gets down a bit use a knobby knife to freshen it up. Rears I chew up in a few months and don't really care as much, but front you will live with for over a year.

Edited by BradinLae
typo

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I will try the S12 on the rear. Now what size do you guys recommend? I see it comes in 120/90, 130/80 & 140/80 sizes.

130/90 is on the back of my KTM. Approx. same size, maybe a touch bigger, than a stock Dunlop 110/100. Get the 130 or 140 IMO. 120/90's can be kinda skinny sometimes.