What size nut is on the clutch basket?

I have my outer clutch plate off my 1998 CR125. I have taken the fiber plates and disks off aswell. Now I have the problem of the very thin nut over the lock washer.

What size is this? The highest socket I have is a 22MM, and I do not want to spend 50 dollars on a craftsman set at the moment.

Sorry, don't know the size, but maybe check at Harbor Freight for sets of tools?

My CR500's and my CRF450X and the 250 I owned have 27mm nuts on em so it might be the same on the 125. Take a micrometer, tape measure, ruler or whatever and see what it is. The measurement will be from one flat side to the one directly across from it.

I never even thought about a tape measure, though it would not be as accurate at that angle. I just verified that it is 27mm, it appeared to be anyway.

Any tips for the lock washer that is on there? I do not want to ruin it.

can buy single craftsman sockets from sears or ace hardware. probly $10

I am a former F-16 mechanic so I am super anal about replacing "wear parts" after every removal. They are only like $3-$4 and to me it is cheap insurance to replace. If a tab gets bent a couple times and breaks from vibration and works it's way into the bottom end you are looking at way more then $4! On my 500's I replace them with a CRF450R lockwasher and they fit better than any 500 one that I have tried.

i believe that nut also crosses over almost exactly to american size also. cant remeber the size but i think its the same as rear axle nut. could be wrong so double check for your self. been a while since i messed with a clutch.

I know 7/8 is 22mm :smirk:

I think the SAE is a closer fit though.

SO you recommend I buy a new lock washer. Thank you. I did not even think of that as an option :smirk:

I know 7/8 is 22mm :smirk:

I think the SAE is a closer fit though.

SO you recommend I buy a new lock washer. Thank you. I did not even think of that as an option :smirk:

My bikes also have a 27mm nut for the rear axle so if yours is the same, use whatever you use for that.

I do highly recommend a new lock washer. Chances of it breaking off are pretty low, but at $4 a piece, why risk it? It would only take a small chunk to eff up the bottom end. Then you are looking at a lot more money to repair for parts, plus the tools to do the job, plus the seals, plus.... or pay someone to do it and then you would really be wishing that you spent that extra $4.