My lifelong SoCal dirt bike riding trip adventure.

California

Well I am in the midst of planning my first so cal motocross/ dirt bike riding trip. This has been a lifelong dream to fly out and do some riding in California. Ever since I saw Carlsbad raceway on ABC as a child and Tommy Clowers winning the 80cc schoolboy class I have wanted to ride in Cali. I will be flying in to LA from West Palm Beach Florida

Well here is my tentative schedule and I would LOVE any advice on ANYTHING about my trip. Still looking to rent bikes, rent hotel rooms, etc etc.

This is what I think the schedule might be. What do you guys think any recommendations or changes?

SO CAL Riding trip...

Arrive Monday 6/6

Tuesday 6/7 Meet with a friend to ride his CRF450 at a local track within an hour of LA. (not sure what track I should ride)

Wednesday 6/8 hopefully meet same friend for some more local MX track action (still dont know whats open etc etc)

Wednesday Night LA..Downtown

Thursday 6/9 Drive south Ride Ocotillo Wells

Thursday Night Stay San Diego

Friday 6/10 Ride Superstition or Canyon Park

Friday Night stay El Cajon

Saturday Ride Glamis

Saturday Night , Drive back to Long Beach.. downtown

Sunday Ink & Iron Long Beach , Queen Mary (inkandiron.com)

Monday LA, Hollywood Daytime

Monday Night 10:00pm flight redeye

Estimated cost

Flight -314-350

Bike Rental - 375-425

Hotel 300-400

What do you guys think of that?

Sounds like fun. You will be doing some serious driving on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Also I know Milestone in Riverside is open Monday thru Sunday. Too bad you were not in LA this weekend. The Ranch mx park in Anza redid their track to be jsut like the old Carlsbad GP track from the 70's.

Ocotillo Wells is cool, Glamis is cool (different type of riding experience, paddle tire is a must), but i would do something different then Superstition if your out here, maybe McCain Valley if you want to stay in that area. You could ride from Ocotillo Wells and hit superstition or plaster city on Thursday if you wanted, but they have been disappointing to me. I think ift would make it a more rounded trip. Some tracks i would try is Pala or The Ranch in Anza, CA. Just my two cents

Ocotillo Wells is cool, Glamis is cool (different type of riding experience, paddle tire is a must), but i would do something different then Superstition if your out here, maybe McCain Valley if you want to stay in that area. You could ride from Ocotillo Wells and hit superstition or plaster city on Thursday if you wanted, but they have been disappointing to me. I think ift would make it a more rounded trip. Some tracks i would try is Pala or The Ranch in Anza, CA. Just my two cents

Ok great advice. Now if I were to rent a crf 450 you need a paddle tire for sure at glamis? So you think superstition is not the best idea?

You dont think we have it planned right for driving distances? What wopuld you do to minimize the travel times. Is there hotels out there instead of driving?

El Centro is a in between Glamis and Ocotillo Wells. They do have a Holiday Inn Express. It would cut back on some driving time and give you more riding time.:smirk:

El Centro is a in between Glamis and Ocotillo Wells. They do have a Holiday Inn Express. It would cut back on some driving time and give you more riding time.:smirk:

SWEET Thanks for another great tip.

You're going to need a green sticker bike for Ocotillo in June. It will probably be smokin' hot too! Not sure what part of LA you'll be in but Piru MX is open on Wednesdays and is a great track.

You're going to need a green sticker bike for Ocotillo in June. It will probably be smokin' hot too! Not sure what part of LA you'll be in but Piru MX is open on Wednesdays and is a great track.

Ocotillo and glamis should be 100+ in june... stay hydrated.

green sticker bike is required at all of above except tracks and glamis

If I was you I would replan my trip for sometime around the begining of the riding season around Thanks Giving would be a great time in my opinion.

The riding season starts down there around Holoween and ends around spring time, because it just gets WAY to hot to ride, mainly out in Ocotillo and Glamis!!:smirk: I hit Ocotillo towards the end of spring and It was fun, but way hot and kinda misrable. There is no way I would go to glamis to ride in June you might end up turantula food :smirk:

Like others have mentioned, stay hydrated. It gets HOT over there. Riding in 105 degree weather with gear takes it toll on you! Especially since its just pure desert, there is no shade anywhere unless you find a huge dune to hide behind. There are a lot of other spots that stay cooler in the summer if your interested. But if you want dunes, there is always pismo beach. ALOT smaller, but ALOT cooler.

Like others have mentioned, stay hydrated. It gets HOT over there. Riding in 105 degree weather with gear takes it toll on you! Especially since its just pure desert, there is no shade anywhere unless you find a huge dune to hide behind. There are a lot of other spots that stay cooler in the summer if your interested. But if you want dunes, there is always pismo beach. ALOT smaller, but ALOT cooler.

Its hot down here in Florida too but my buddy keeps trying to tell me its dry heat and we should be ok. Im a little freaked out about the heat too. I ride motocross here in 85-90 with Florida humidity but we take breaks and sit in the shade.

So you think Pismo is better than Glamis? What are your other "cooler" ideas? Im assuming the bike rental places have the "green sticker" what is the green sticker mean?

Glamis is much better then Pismo Beach, but like they said, it will be hot as hell. I never rented a bike, so not sure if you would have to buy a paddle tire or they would cover it in the rental. Paddle tire is around 65 bucks or so, pretty cheap compared to knobby tires, and you could have it mounted for 10 to 20 dollars. Might get stuck having to mount it back, i would call and ask. Google is our friend too. If you were to do Ocotillo Wells and Glamis, then i would not waste my time at Superstition. Superstition is a mixure of the two places, but defiantely not as good as going to them individually like you had planned. Red sticker vs Green sticker, its a crappy thing in California. Green sticker lets you ride year round, red sticker is more like seasonal. I would as the place were your going to rent the bikes from. I don't know how Cali figures it out, cause i have seen a Green sticker being a two stoke and a Red being a Thumper. It is supposed to be for Smog/Emissions, but who knows. I have never even put my sticker, played stupid, and pulled the military card once, so got out of it. But it is a chance that i take cause i have a Red sticker (seasonal). Anything closer to the coast will be cooler. I would do it for the adventure, but it will be hot, your call

Its hot down here in Florida too but my buddy keeps trying to tell me its dry heat and we should be ok. Im a little freaked out about the heat too. I ride motocross here in 85-90 with Florida humidity but we take breaks and sit in the shade.

So you think Pismo is better than Glamis? What are your other "cooler" ideas? Im assuming the bike rental places have the "green sticker" what is the green sticker mean?

85-90 degre in humidity!, I admire you :smirk: I went to florida a few years back in June and it was only in the 80's but the humidity made it so much worse. I don't know how you guys do it. I'm guessing you get use it with time?

I've personally never been to pismo but plan on going soon. The dunes are located off of a beach so you have ocean front weather. In the summer that means only high's of 70's to 80's. The size riding size of oceano dunes (aka pismo) is about 1500 acres. Glamis is well over 100,000. Endless sand dunes but higher temps is the trade off. No way to get lost in pismo, but pretty easy in glamis. I've been to glamis a few times and I really like it but I've never been in the summer.

The green sticker is the registration sticker for an off highway vehicle. Green sticker allows for riding year round while red sticker season is usually from october-april. Some places are year round like glamis and pismo. Here is the list of CA riding areas and their red sticker season:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

All dirt bikes 2002 and older are issued green stickers. All 2003 and newer bikes that don't meet emmission standards are issued red stickers (Mainly motocross style bikes fall in this category.) New bikes that meet green sticker emmission standards are usually trail bikes. Ex. Honda CRF230.

Ok made a few tweaks and changes to my schedule. Im going to hit up some motocross tracks from Monday - Wednesday. I think we are still doing Ocotillo for sure and instead of Glamis we are thinking about doing one of the tours into baja Mexico. What do you think of that idea as opposed to riding Glamis. Or should we scrap Superstition and do Glamis and baja instead?

Ok made a few tweaks and changes to my schedule. Im going to hit up some motocross tracks from Monday - Wednesday. I think we are still doing Ocotillo for sure and instead of Glamis we are thinking about doing one of the tours into baja Mexico. What do you think of that idea as opposed to riding Glamis. Or should we scrap Superstition and do Glamis and baja instead?

A tour into baja sounds very cool. What tour companies were you looking into?

Doesn't take long to get dead in the desert with temps over 100. Couple of years ago 2 Navy guys in their mid 20's rode their last bike in high temps. Either ride early morning or at night. Also it doesn't hurt to ride with a local or someone familiar with the desert.

maybe just me...but if I was going to travel across the US to ride a different landscape than what I am used to I sure as hell would not waste my time at some man made track...I would find the best riding locations around and spend my time there.

Ocotillo wells is a fun place to ride probably one of my top three desert spots for sure!

Glamis has huge dunes and lots of them but like said above Socal in june is going to be hot. eariler in june the better...

more great spots in Socal: little farther north than the places you mentioned...

-Hungry Valley OHV (weekdays only) crowded on the weekends. huge varity of trails.

-Pismo Beach great summer time riding on the beach!

-Jawbone/Dove springs/California city

Chaparral motorsports in San bernadino rents bikes and I remember seeing they had Crf450x's to rent which would be a green sticker bike...

your best time of year is oct-may to ride out here like said above but june is not as bad as july or august. the farther south you are the hotter it's going to be...

If I was you I would replan my trip for sometime around the begining of the riding season around Thanks Giving would be a great time in my opinion.

The riding season starts down there around Holoween and ends around spring time, because it just gets WAY to hot to ride,

Dirt bike riding isn't a seasonal sport! The ama outdoor races run right through summer.

Any of you sissys who think riding is seasonal need to turn in your man cards. :smirk:

If you can handle 90 degrees with high humidity, 105 dry heat will be no problem.

85-90 degre in humidity!, I admire you :smirk: I went to florida a few years back in June and it was only in the 80's but the humidity made it so much worse. I don't know how you guys do it. I'm guessing you get use it with time?

I've personally never been to pismo but plan on going soon. The dunes are located off of a beach so you have ocean front weather. In the summer that means only high's of 70's to 80's. The size riding size of oceano dunes (aka pismo) is about 1500 acres. Glamis is well over 100,000. Endless sand dunes but higher temps is the trade off. No way to get lost in pismo, but pretty easy in glamis. I've been to glamis a few times and I really like it but I've never been in the summer.

The green sticker is the registration sticker for an off highway vehicle. Green sticker allows for riding year round while red sticker season is usually from october-april. Some places are year round like glamis and pismo. Here is the list of CA riding areas and their red sticker season:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

All dirt bikes 2002 and older are issued green stickers. All 2003 and newer bikes that don't meet emmission standards are issued red stickers (Mainly motocross style bikes fall in this category.) New bikes that meet green sticker emmission standards are usually trail bikes. Ex. Honda CRF230.

This is why is all gets strange, my 2006 YZ250 two smoker is green sticker, now i love two strokes, but lets get real, pass emmission better than practically any 4 stroke, not going to happen in my book