90s DR 250/350 Front Brake Upgrade?

Is there any upgrade to the god awful front break on my 90' DR 250? Oversized rotor? Master Cylinder upgrade? ANYTHING?

Have you tried bleeding the brakes or changing the fluid? Just got done getting rid of the old fluid that was black and flushed the system with new DOT 4 fluid. Bled the brakes and now they feel solid, not spongy like they were. I guess if you wanted to spend the $ you could get new wavy rotors and new pads and see if that makes a difference.

I agree.

The stock DR 250/350 brakes are adequate for the bike.

I currently own three and have owned six over the last 15 or so years.

Changing the brake fluid can make a big difference depending on the last time it was changed or if it has been over heated.

Also check the condition of your brake pads. Once they've been glazed over they're pretty much useless.

I use a Mity-Vac (I think I paid about $25 for it about ten years ago) to bleed the brakes and it only takes a few minutes.

The Mity-Vac also works as a vacuum gauge and a vacuum pump which I use quite often on my old Corvette as well...Great tool. :smirk:

MV8000.jpg

already bled the brakes the front feels a lot better than before but its not stopping as quickly/powerfully as i would prefer. The pads look excellent in the rear, front slight bit of wear but nothing major. Guess I'm used to the awesome Brembos on my KTMs.

Heres a pic of my brake fluid when i changed it after buying the DR. And no thats not diet coke in the bottle:smirk:

229307_2090347901325_1324054904_2480680_1006588_n.jpg

Braided line may help. How old is the brake line? As old as the bike?

Braided line may help. How old is the brake line? As old as the bike?

I would say its stock so 21 years:busted: would a steel braided line make that big of a difference?

I would say its stock so 21 years:busted: would a steel braided line make that big of a difference?

Ummm... How to put this...

Hell yes!

Even a new OEM line would help but a braided line'll probably be even cheaper and better.

Ummm... How to put this...

Hell yes!

Even a new OEM line would help but a braided line'll probably be even cheaper and better.

would a new year model line fit? like for a 01-02 DR-Z 250 fit? or any others? the Tucker Rocky catalogue doesnt have any listed for older DRs.