Bike security while in tent

Good morning all

I am going to try camping with my bike out this summer for the first time.

I just have a quick question about what can I do about securing my bike while I'm asleep in my tent. Unfortunately here in the UK you are never more than 30 miles or so from civilisation (pros and cons) so securing my bike while I am asleep is a concern for me.

I plan to sleep in both organised camp sites and also wherever I can.

Anyway just wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks

Roscoe

Bristol, UK

Get a large tent and bring it inside. Lock a chain around a tree and through the frame. These are just some ideas.

^^^^^ what he said and get a disc lock which sets the alarm off when it moves at all or a lock which also sets an alarm off when its cut. those 2 plus a thick lock should do

I usually pull the sparkplug cap out just enough so it wont start but still looks like its connected. You will hear someone trying to take it and it wont start so you have all the time you need to fix the situation.

get your bike covered with a bike cover camo and sleep 2 feet away from it

and i mean it

Mossberg 590 works well too or one of those disc brake locks

we lock about all our bikes together with a long cable...and hang a cow bell on the lock.

Lock them together and run the lock to the tent. Listen to Napoleon and keep a friggin 12 gauge by your side thats a major help to securing them.

freaking12gauge.png

Buy a big tent and park it in the tent. Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

Sleep on the bike. That way, you'll get an early start in the morning.

I usually pull the sparkplug cap out just enough so it wont start but still looks like its connected. You will hear someone trying to take it and it wont start so you have all the time you need to fix the situation.

What if they just quietly roll it away while you're sleeping?

yeah, what if your broke ass bike doesn't start the first kick. :smirk:

Rotor and/or sprocket locks keep the bike from quietly rolling away. I use combination padlocks on both rotors, if you have a drum rear brake put a padlock thru the sprocket.

Tie a string to your big toe. Or you could have a radio playing a loop of occasional shotgun racking.

In a more serious note you would be best served chaining it to a tree with a bell on the lock. Thats a good idea with the bell. If you only use one disk break lock, two people could easily pick up the locked wheel and roll it away.

Might be a little PITA but take the bolts out of your bar clamps so when they go to push the bike or grab it to start it the handlebars just fall off. Thieves are lazy and will go to the next bike because they won't want to bother with your bike

Disc locks work great... loud as hell. I'd recommend a cable over a chain if you decide to lock it to something solid.

Disc locks work great... loud as hell. I'd recommend a cable over a chain if you decide to lock it to something solid.

Yeap the alarmed disc locks work. The Xena that I own works great. If the wind blows too hard the thing will go off. It's loud, it's built well and if your camping in a tent beside of it or even close you will not sleep through the alarm I promise.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock_us/

Why this? I figured you can get through a cable quietly more easily than a chain.

By yourself a pit bull or other big dog and chain it to the bike.

Why this? I figured you can get through a cable quietly more easily than a chain.

Cables are more difficult to cut than a chain link.