Sign in to follow this  

2004 dr650 idle adjustment

Shop manual for a 2004 dr650 says 1600 to 1700 RPM for Idle speed. With a two brothers aftermarket pipe, air box mod and jetting that seems really high. When i checked it with the aftermarket vapor tach i have connected it seemed to run really smooth around 1100 or 1200. Any comments??

Also whats the correct way to adjust idle speed?? from the extended fuel screw or the adjuster that's on the carb??? I ended up leaving the carb throttle adjustment the way it is, warming up the bike really good and adjusting the fuel screw until it almost cut the engine out and then turned it back out till it was just running smooth. Ended up about 2 or 2.5 turns out.

First adjust the mixture properly (as you did), then adjust the idle speed. If you want it slower, and it works (e.g. does not hesitate on a start), then leave it at 1100/1200.

Also whats the correct way to adjust idle speed?? from the extended fuel screw or the adjuster that's on the carb??? I ended up leaving the carb throttle adjustment the way it is, warming up the bike really good and adjusting the fuel screw until it almost cut the engine out and then turned it back out till it was just running smooth. Ended up about 2 or 2.5 turns out.

That's a pretty rich setting for the pilot screw. You should be somewhere between 1 and 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated. Use the idle speed adjuster to control engine idle speed not the pilot mixture screw.