Sign in to follow this  

What is the rear supposed to do at 1/4 to 1/2 of a corner?

I pretty much love my suspension. It is set up by RG3 for woods but works as well as anything I have ever ridden on the track also.

I do most of my practicing on the track.

Just the other day while working on a 90 degree flat left turn that has about a two foot steep berm (making it not flat anymore), I hit the turn with my weight a bit farther back than usual.

When I did this the rear of the bike "sat" low during the "arch" of my turn and everything felt very smooth and I got a lot of nice smooth drive out of the turn.

Under normal circumstances I would have come into that turn slid up on the tank layed her over to the left broke the rear lose with the brake or maybe the throttle, and had to work the clutch on my yz 250 to keep the power smooth all while fighting the accl. bump on the exit.

I am only 5'4 and have lost about 12 pounds (145-130'ish) since my suspension was set up.

Is being lighter, and short in general (less weight on the back) causing me problems? Do I need a lighter spring in the rear? Is the rear even supposed to have a pronounced "sit" during a corner?

Thanks for any info you guys have.

yes it should sit into the corner with a decent berm and throttle , your hs adjuster makes a big difference on how the rear reacts in squat etc , your sag numbers will tell you if you have the correct spring

yes it should sit into the corner with a decent berm and throttle , your hs adjuster makes a big difference on how the rear reacts in squat etc , your sag numbers will tell you if you have the correct spring

Is it possible that my lack of length (5'4) makes it so that when I am forward on the bike in a turn, there just isnt enough of me to compress the spring like it should?

Is it possible that my lack of length (5'4) makes it so that when I am forward on the bike in a turn, there just isnt enough of me to compress the spring like it should?

if the spring rate is correct, you will not have a problem getting the spring to sit down in the corner.

we tested all day today. on of my riders sag was out. spring rate was correct for his weight. when i set the sag @ 103, i did not touch a clicker on the shock the whole day. this was a new revalve for him.

sag is the first thing to get dialed in.

it's like the force in star wars! lol