Sign in to follow this  

Battery or starter Issues

I know there have been posts about battery issues on the 450X, but I want to get some general feedback from some of you guys to troubleshoot my issue.

On an 07 CRF450X I havent ridden the bike for 6 months - last time I rode the battery was fine and has always held a good charge. Went to start the bike a week ago and the battery was dead....not even clicking from the relay (it had been on trickle charge). I thought it was strange - checked all the connections...nothing. Replaced and got the correct battery.

Now when riding the bike, the battery is still not holding a charge (brand new battery). I can jump the battery - or kick it over and it will start, but when I stop it the bike will not turn over again.

Is it possibly not recharging? what is the voltage the tester should show when the bike is running?

I know there are issues with starters on these bikes....when they go bad do they not work period...or do they make it more difficult for the bike to turnover?

Is it possible an electircal short causing a drain....if so how would we know or diagnose?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

I know there have been posts about battery issues on the 450X, but I want to get some general feedback from some of you guys to troubleshoot my issue.

On an 07 CRF450X I havent ridden the bike for 6 months - last time I rode the battery was fine and has always held a good charge. Went to start the bike a week ago and the battery was dead....not even clicking from the relay (it had been on trickle charge). I thought it was strange - checked all the connections...nothing. Replaced and got the correct battery.

Now when riding the bike, the battery is still not holding a charge (brand new battery). I can jump the battery - or kick it over and it will start, but when I stop it the bike will not turn over again.

Is it possibly not recharging? what is the voltage the tester should show when the bike is running?

I know there are issues with starters on these bikes....when they go bad do they not work period...or do they make it more difficult for the bike to turnover?

Is it possible an electircal short causing a drain....if so how would we know or diagnose?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Use a voltmeter to check your battery after you have verified all the ground wires are secure. A good battery will have about 12.5 volts and when you start the bike, it should jump to 13 volts if the charging mechanism is good. I bought a Chinese replacement battery recently but it wasn't worth a damn so I bought the OEM Yuasa battery and have ample juice once again.

When the starter goes out on this bike, you will most likely hear spinning and spooling of the starter and zero engaging of the engine since it is usually the starter gears that fail.

I used a voltmeter on my bike to verify my post and had exactly 12.5V before start up and have 14.18 Volts with my bike running at idle. My bike has stock electrical.

i used a voltmeter on my bike to verify my post and had exactly 12.5v before start up and have 14.18 volts with my bike running at idle. My bike has stock electrical.

+1 ..........

If I recall correctly, isn't there only 1 ground, from the neg post to the block?

When you said all the grounds it makes me think there maybe more I need to check.

bob

If I recall correctly, isn't there only 1 ground, from the neg post to the block?

When you said all the grounds it makes me think there maybe more I need to check.

bob

Besides the one to the block, check that the headlight harness isn't loose, ensure the kill button isn't shorting, check the battery terminals and wire integrity, check the clutch lever interlock switch. You might as well ensure the coil wire is snug too.

Ok, checked the voltage and had just over 14v running at idle, so thought it was a bad battery, took the bike to the place we got the battery (last week) they load tested and said it was fine. They checked the voltage running and it showed only 12.5v.

Is it possible the stator charges the battery only at certain times or is it constant? If it is constant, then maybe we have an intermittant problem? Any thoughts?

Bob

Ok, checked the voltage and had just over 14v running at idle, so thought it was a bad battery, took the bike to the place we got the battery (last week) they load tested and said it was fine. They checked the voltage running and it showed only 12.5v.

Is it possible the stator charges the battery only at certain times or is it constant? If it is constant, then maybe we have an intermittant problem? Any thoughts?

Bob

There is no regulator for the charger and times that it charges. When its running the voltage should be higher and the battery will pull current as it needs it for charging. When the bike is running there is a float charge put on the battery from the alternator creating a high voltage. Without it on you will see your open cell voltage which is your battery voltage when its disconnected from the charging. Don't know the levels off hand for the X but it should always be there when your bike is running.

Update:

VOLTAGE:

Fully charged: 13.0 – 13.2 V

Under charged: Below 12.3 V

So what this means is if your battery is charged and the bike is running you should see in the range of 13.0 VDC to 13.2 VDC. If your battery has been charging for a while and the voltage is still below 13 or 12.9 I would say your alt is under performing. If its lower, then its obviously worse off. FYI When testing batteries, a load test is always best as you can not base the life of a battery simply on voltage.

Edited by dolfinfan
Update

I don't recall if there are any fusible links in this charging system or not---haven't been in there in awhile. But on another ride I had an issue where the fuse was still good, but where made contact at each end of the fuse there was a slight incompatibility of the metal types, and over time the contact degraded to the point that no current was flowing through. The cure was cleaning up contact points and installing a new fuse. I was in front of a mechanic to learn that.