another tall bastard changing bars

Had an opportunity to ride a friend's bike this weekend with tusk 30mm risers and moose or renthal cr high bars 7/8".

Overall I liked how it felt compared to stock for my 6'5" bod...both sitting and standing. Possibly still a bit short for me for standing use.

I'm considering 2" rox risers, and then rc (ricky carmichael?) or cr high bend bars (probably 7/8")

I've read a bunch here that with this combo, most people don't have to change cables (they have to reroute, but not change).

If I do have to replace cables...does anyone have part numbers for common, longer-length replacements? I've only seen 1 motion pro longer length cable listed (think it's clutch), but no longer length throttle, choke, or brake cables listed.

Edited by Carphunter

02on a 650L, you will be good.

You'll probably be ok with stock cables. If you want longer, Motion Pro will certainly make them for you. They'll make them as long as you want. You have to call them for special orders but you can put ape hangers on there if you really wanted to.

You'll probably be ok with stock cables. If you want longer, Motion Pro will certainly make them for you. They'll make them as long as you want. You have to call them for special orders but you can put ape hangers on there if you really wanted to.

LOL:lol: Ape Hangers

I'm 6'5", 2" Rox risers and CR HI bend no cable re-route required on 2001 xr650l.

Added 1" to seat height too and I love it, fits like a glove.

anyone know what the Honda bars stock measurements are?

If you have clutch cable issues a stock XR600 cable is just a couple inches longer (due to the lower mounting point) than an L.

Right now, I'm going to pick up the rox risers (elites that come with a 1 1/8 - 7/8 reducer). I'll throw that in, and then decide on bars.

I'm using a Scott's S.U.B. mount with Pastrana FMX bars which is the highest bend I could find. I ride an R model and did have to change the throttle cable and re-route the clutch cable, but it was well worth it. GL

ordered rox yesterday, here today... what service :smirk: too bad I can't mess with it until later this weekend :smirk:

Installed risers and bars today. Will have to finalize where I want to tilt the risers to, but overall I'm happy.

I did have to reroute the clutch cable, but everything else was fine. I don't know if I'll bother picking up a longer one. Will have to get grip glue, though, as the factory honda grips were a bit loose on the renthal bars...and the old brake cleaner adhesion method didn't work :smirk:

I need to know though.... I thought I've seen a post somewhere that said we had to align the handlebar clamps correctly on the bike. Like the dimple in the top clamp piece must be forward or rearward when mounted to the triple. I couldn't find clarification on that today. Clamps look ok as I have them...but I want to know if there isn't a "right way". I think the same post also talked about how to tighten the bolts correctly so the bars don't give way...except in a crash where you'd want them to roll.

be carefull if you ride a bunch of offroad youloose alot of front end grip simply because you loose alot of your weight over the bars. Im 6'6" and ran atv bars ontop of 2.5" rox and it looked weird but made standing up a breeze. ultimatly i took them off because everytime i dropped the bike. it would tweak the bars and was a pita to get strait again and after a few get offs the actual risers were bent a little. Also i had to run a longer clutch cable. and i had to be careful when i turned the wheel lock to lock in one direction it would pull on the throttle cable just enough to open the throttle a little.

So bottom line if the bike is mainly used for street/big trails go for it. It looks funny but who cares. if you ride alot of narrow tight single track like i do. Be carefull. It realy messes with the balance of the bike.

I used ROX until I switched to fat bars and RSW triple with 3" risers. After raising the bars the clutch cable reached but the "lead" into the clutch lever was no longer fair. the cable came in at a slight angle. It took about 600 miles but I sawed the cable apart because I did not realize that such a insignificant looking misalignment could lead to disaster.

I'm now using a computer wire bundle velcro strap (1/4 inch wide) to gently pull the (new) Clutch cable into alignment.

Of course the cable broke in-the-middle-of-nowhere. I was in a low place in the remote double track, I jury rigged a clutch lever with my needle nose vise grips. It worked but was tough to operate from a stand still. fortunately I was not riding alone. My buddies gave me a push to start and I snicked it into first while rolling. Shifted clutch-less for 20 miles to get to the barn. Very fortunate this didn't happen on a tight trail where I'd be stopping and going or climbing under load etc.

Photos:

Middle of No-Where east of Bend Or

Rigged clutch lever on broken cable.

P5190353.JPG

P5190362.JPG

Edited by High Desert

i understand your concern about the fair lead issue. i eyeballed mine, and i don't believe i'm making too severe a bend.

hope to hit the potato field dirt roads today (possibly in the rain when they are their nastiest), and check to see if the bars are where I want them, or need to rock forward more and gain 1/4-1/2" more rise.

i understand your concern about the fair lead issue. i eyeballed mine, and i don't believe i'm making too severe a bend.

hope to hit the potato field dirt roads today (possibly in the rain when they are their nastiest), and check to see if the bars are where I want them, or need to rock forward more and gain 1/4-1/2" more rise.

Why don't you just go out into the desert and climb some hills....oh, sorry... I see your in Wisconsin!

Check that lead closely, mine was skewered just slightly forward of dead on. It was not a harsh angle at all, just barely out of line right where the cable enters the adjusting nuts, the metal end of the cable guide was notched where the cable had been sliding on it. I was surprised but now educated on how straight they need to be...

For the longer cable, an xr600l cable? I'm looking at it appears to be 2 3/4" longer. I think that's enough to just make sure I have no strain on cable.

Are the ends and everything exactly compatible? or am I going ot be doing some screwing around fitting?