Difference in lap times between 125 2 stroke and 250f?

Hi guys I'm currently racing a 125 2 stroke but planning on changing to a 250f at the end of the year. Just wondering, (so I can decide if it's really worth it) roughly, for an average novice/intermediate motocross rider, how many seconds per lap faster am I likely to be on the 250f over my 125? I know it will vary from rider to rider and track to track, but just a rough idea. Cheers guys :smirk:

Depends on the rider. The only way to know is for you to ride a 250f and see if your lap times are faster and by how much.

Depends on the track too. There is no magical number. Some riders instinctively are faster on one over the other. Riding style play a huge part in this. Are you a point and shoot or a smooth and steady? Are you a consistent rider or are you balls to the wall and win if you do not crash spectacularly?

Hi guys I'm currently racing a 125 2 stroke but planning on changing to a 250f at the end of the year. Just wondering, (so I can decide if it's really worth it) roughly, for an average novice/intermediate motocross rider, how many seconds per lap faster am I likely to be on the 250f over my 125? I know it will vary from rider to rider and track to track, but just a rough idea. Cheers guys :smirk:
Depends on the rider.
Depends on the track too.

Read much?

But as they said, too many other variables to make that call. The fastest guy at the track 2 weeks ago was on a 250 2 stroke, swept the 450's in every race.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I know their are a lot of variables, I guess I'd just like to here how many seconds per lap other people have gained then when they made the switch?

I ride more hardpack to loamy tracks but not super deep and loamy..... and I'd say I'm more of a smooth and consitent kind of rider.

I know getting a go on a 250f and lap timing my self is the only true way to tell how much faster I'd be on one, but this isn't really practical for me as I'm racing nearly every weekend now as we're in the middle of the race season, and I don't get to go practising very often.... Cheers :smirk:

a year ago there was a proam race at aztalan and shane sewell came out on a yz125 and killed all the local A riders that were on 450s n 250s, just depends on your prefrences

The fastest guy at the track 2 weeks ago was on a 250 2 stroke, swept the 450's in every race.

That's what's up! :smirk: :smirk:

I owned until recently both and my best guess is about two to three seconds a lap faster on the four stroke...

its also depends on what your use to you wont know whats faster until your familer with both because clutch and powerband are completly different

depends on track condition and how well you ride your 125, but id say any where between 1-10 seconds, probably 3-4 seconds though. im novice intermediate and there is a 3 second lap time difference for me at my local track with 2:30 lap times on my 250f

That's what's up! :smirk: :smirk:

Yup, he raced 450 Pro class, had several seconds on everyone else. Dude was flying.