Sign in to follow this  

Setting a CR85 for Cross Country

Hi all!

I need to set my CR85RB 2006 for some races of Italian Cross Country Champioship.

The XC Women Class race during until 60 minutes.

What can I do to set my bike?

Thank you =)

Hi,

You would likely only need fresh tires, full tank of gas, hand guards, and the will to win !!!

Without knowing how your bike is currently set up, you may want to adjust gearing (sprocket size) to adjust to overall terrain. Will you know if it is a tight course or will it be more wide open?

Hi,

You would likely only need fresh tires, full tank of gas, hand guards, and the will to win !!!

Without knowing how your bike is currently set up, you may want to adjust gearing (sprocket size) to adjust to overall terrain. Will you know if it is a tight course or will it be more wide open?

Well the first three race are an old style motocross tracks modificated, the other three are wide open!

My CR85 has an FMF STS pipe and a Q spark arrestor for the exhaust and also has a Steahly flywheel weight. The pipe gives it a longer powerband and the flywheel weight keeps the motor from stalling so easily when the rear brake is applied, as well as putting all the power to the ground once the bike gets on the pipe. I added IMS Super Stock foot pegs because the stock ones are so tiny. The bike is easier and more comfortable to ride with the bigger pegs. I am thinking of also putting in a set of V Force reeds as well. I had also bought a larger gas tank for it, but the listed tank that was supposed to fit that year model didn't, so I had to send it back.

Do they allow fuel stops? Our hare scrambles here are 2 hours, and they have a pit lane after the scoring chicane.

With a stock tank on my 250 I usually have to get a splash of fuel to make it. I've been fighting the urge to put a bigger tank on it. My wife can go the distance on her 125 with stock tank. Really depends upon the course, bike and how hard you ride.

Gearing changes are pretty easy to figure out. Open course, stock gearing or gear up. Tight and technical course, gear down.

We wear hydration packs and use them. Mine is 70 US ounces and is usually empty right before the finish. Room temperature water is best.

Our series requires spark arrestors. I run a Pro Circuit or FMF sparky for HS, and a Pro Circuit shorty for everything else.

Hand guards are a must if you are racing through trees. G2 makes a really nice set that comes with anodized end caps the plug the bar ends when the guards are removed for MX.

As for suspension, I manage to use the same bike for both HS and MX. I go a couple of clicks stiffer on the compression damping for MX.

Above all, have fun!

This is my bike set now:

229467_198414986870268_100001053047920_568219_94995_n.jpg

The women class race during 1 hour and at the 30 minutes we have the refuel stop! We have to set the transponder into the bike!

I'm looking for a big tank for the CR85 but I can't find it!

Skidplate, Flywheel weight and full wrap around hand guards if you are going to be racing in the tight tree's. If they're not bar banging tight trees then your current handguards would be fine.

Then your typical suspension and motor tuning to suit your style and terrain....