Sign in to follow this  

Atv TaKaI M-RAIKOU Super Coils! Tech Thread

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and some of the products we will be offering the community. I would also like to welcome any engineers, or technically inclined individuals to ask any questions so we can leave up a good technical resource for people that may want to know more.

The plan is to day by day adding images and technical information on the product and leave some time for any inquisitive people to ask any questions so that they can better understand the inner workings and performance advantages of the product. For anybody that is interested post any and all questions. So you are aware of my background I am an EE that worked for suppliers to GM, Ford, etc and have also been an EE instructor as well. Also, I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a stupid question, especially if you are interested in the topic, so if you are interested please ask.

To start I would like to introduce our TaKaI M-RAIKOU SUPER COILS (raikou stands for Thunder god in japanese incase anyone is interested).

The M-RAIKOU is an improved version of our already high output lineup of WeaponX EFX and EFX2 super coils but are specifically made for bikes.

The first feature I will introduce is it's capability to convert many bikes to direct COP technology. (COP = coil on plug)

As some may have noticed, various bikes come with direct coil on plug technology while others do not. We should all note that 99% of all automobiles these days use COP technology in order to improve performance and efficiency of the engine. Many MX bikes have followed suit, but other manufacturers change year to year primarily due to cost reasons.

Why the conversion to COP is superior?

Let me know if anyone wants numbers but in basic form this is the explanation. The more interconnects / connection points between the coil and the spark plug the higher the potential losses. Every connection point has something called resistance and the potential to oxidise. Firstly, oxidation reduces the connections capability to conduct. Think about when a battery won't start a car. Its still connected fine but the oxidation prevents energy from flowing. In an ignition system this means poor spark performance and poor running characteristics. Also, any length of wire and in all connection points there is a set amount of resistance. Resistance is just as its name implies, it resists the flow of electricity causing electrical losses leading to a poor performing ignition system. It should also be noted that the higher the voltage the higher the losses so more connections on the high voltage side of the ignition coils are prone to greater losses then the low voltage side of the ignition coil.

Just how does our system work?

See the image below, for example. The newest RM450F uses a remote mount ignition coil with a connection to the ignition wire and another connection to the spark plug. TaKaI's M-RAIKOU super coil mounts directly to the spark plug removing a high voltage connection which improves electrical conductivity and performance of the ignition coil. The M-RAIKOU is a super high performance ignition coil which is designed to reduce high voltage losses.

If there are any questions so far let me know. I will start getting into the differences of our coil vs similar Denso, etc, coils and what we do with 2 stroke applications that cannot be directly mounted.

Below is a picture of the conversion of a RM450F when prototyping.

Coil vs Coil.jpg

ConversionRM250F.jpg

Alright! Lets get into some nitty gritty for anyone interested.

So I am sure many people would like to know. Just how exactly does an ignition coil work? Actually believe it or not it is all magnetics!

In order to understand a basic ignition coil first we need to remember how we made those CRAZY electrical powered magnets in gradeschool / highschool or post secondary.

If we can't remember below is a picture of an electrical magnet.

Basically it is a permeable material like iron. Permeable meaning, magnetic fields can run through this material and prefer to run through this material much like with conductors electricity prefers to run through copper then it does through the air.

There are several factors that determine the strength of the magnet and these same factors will determine how strong our ignition coils are.

Lets start with the basics here.

1) How permeable is the material in the center of the windings?

2) How many windings do we have wrapped around this material?

3) How far does this permeable material extend around the ignition coil?

4) How long doe this material extend out of the wraps of wire?

5) Eddy current losses!? Well lets save that for an an advanced session.

For now let me explain the first 4 scenarios and how important it is to the function of the ignition coil.

Many will probably be surprised to know that inside an ignition coil, a primary components looks almost exactly like that electrical magnet which is just wire wrapped around a piece of iron etc. That magnetic field generated is responsible for delivering the spark needed to ignite the air fuel mix in the combustion chamber.

So as you can suspect there are several factors that will determine the strength of the coil or "magnet".

1) Make this magnet as efficient as possible by using a large piece of highly permeable material. Much like using a very thick gauge wire for a conductor, a magnetic field easily runs through this material making it more powerful. Our TaKaI coils use a very high cross section of highly permeable material. Actually 3 times larger then a typical Denso unit. I myself was playing with one thousanths of an inch on our latest version to literally cram the most material possible in our ignition coils. Try creating an electrical magnet yourself and use a small 12V battery with a lower current rating (like for the big flashlights). Grab an iron or steel nail (permeable material) and wrap 50 turns of wire around it. You will notice the magnet is really strong. Pull the nail out and use a straw to wrap the wire around (use the same number of turns or wraps) and most of the strength will leave the magnet. This is because the core is not iron.

2) The more windings the stronger the magnet will be. This is because around every winding a magnetic field is generated. The strength comes when many smaller fields interact to make one large field.

3) The more the permeable material in key locations where the field must travel the easier the magnetic field can travel and the greater the strength. Take a look at the diagram attached. Thing as the OE coil as the earth with a magnetic field around it. The field needs to run North to South (or vv depending on design) and then back to it's origin much like the earths magnetic field does. If there is no easy path it needs to run through air which is not a permeable or ideal material and weakens the field. Our TaKaI coils do not have this issue and are designed to allow an efficient magnetic field internal to the coil.

4) This is much like the length of wire used in an electrical circuit. Using pieces that are too long, especially when there is no wire wrapped around it the overall field will suffer and weaken. We shouldn't use more material then that which is required much like a conductor carrying electricity. Notice the exposed parts on an OE coil is excess material for mounting purposes, not because it helps the magnetic field. TaKaI uses a pre determined and custom length permiable materials throughout our coils for reduced losses due to exposed cores.

As you can see in the diagram below the TaKaI coil retains and allows the magnetic field to stay focused internal to the ignition coil due to key components in key areas of the coil. The OEM style coils require that the magnetic field stray around the coil in free air resulting in poor performance.

Let me know if you have any questions so far.

I will elaborate more on why this field is so important next time.

electrical magnet.jpg

Magnetic field 1.jpg

For an update, I have a tester for our product and we will update you when everything is done.

Also, some people may ask. If it was this easy to produce more power then why doesn't the manufacturer design their products like we and other aftermarket companies do?

Cost is the simple answer. They could make more power by re plumbing the exhaust, by changing the slip on, or by changing the air filter but the bottom line is nickles and pennies. Having worked in the automotive industry pennies add up to cost thousands of dollars when we are dealing with hundreds of thousands of individual parts.

Example,

Imagine the losses if we spent an extra dollar each spark plug, a dollar each ignition coil, a dollar each exhaust pipe and a dollar each air filter. For a total of $4 on each bike. The loss at the manufacture end would be enormous!

Honda produced 18 million motorcycles and atv's last year. If they did add that $4 per bike the end loss would be 72 million dollars. Also, keep in mind half of these bikes have 4 cylinders, 4 exhaust pipes, 4 ignition coils 4 spark plugs so ideally this figure and the losses obtained would be closer to hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars if we added $16 to each multi cylinder bike. Ask yourself if you were the owner of these companies would you OK this change? It's just not cost effective and this is the reason manufacturers such as Ferrari exist. To produce a cost is no object product and as can be seen they charge upwards of one million dollars per vehicle.

Aftermarket suppliers fill that void and here at TaKaI we design our products with a cost is no object approach to squeeze the most power out of our designs. As can be seen in the previous post, adding the materials necessary to create a more effective magnetic field would already cost the manufacturer more then that single dollar they are trying to save and we are not even beginning to scratch the surface of the design benefits in our ignition coils.

More on the winding designs / magnetic fields and benefits of the coils soon.

Just as a final note before I get into some other TaKaI products, we call our enhanced magnetic field Focal Tech, which focuses the energy available inside the ignition coil allowing for more efficient energy transfer to the high voltage side of the ignition coil. This allows for longer duration, higher output ignition events which as a byproduct ensures higher output and a more complete combustion cycle for enhanced performance characteristics from your engine.

A variety of other enhancements, such as using the latest moulding processes to ensure very high tolerance components (within one thousanths of an inch) also ensure that the core is in the proper proximity to the focal magnetic energy field to ensure the highest output sparks available.

All these additions allow for up to ~50% higher efficiency and double the output output energy over standard designs.

If there are any other technical questions regarding our ignition coils please feel free to ask or contact us at support@takai-racing.com